Battlefield 2042 is undoubtedly a thrilling gaming experience, boasting of extraordinary visuals and intricate gameplay. However, some Battlefield 2042 players may experience issues like low fps, stuttering, freezing, high CPU usage, and fps drop, which can impede their immersive experience. Worry not! In this comprehensive guide, we'll provide some proven solutions that can drastically improve your BF 2042 performance.
How to Boost FPS and Fix Low Performance in Battlefield 2042
Battlefield 2042 players may face various performance issues, including reduced fps or frames-per-second, frequent freezing, and stuttering. Moreover, an unusual fps drop or high CPU usage can negatively affect your gaming experience. However, there are indeed several solutions to these problems. Below, we will delve into a step-by-step guide on how to enhance your BF 2042 experience by boosting FPS and fixing these performance issues.
1. Update Your GPU Drivers
The first step towards boosting your game's performance is updating your GPU drivers. A fresh GPU driver installation can indeed help improve Battlefield 2042 performance. For this, you should uninstall your current drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and then install the latest ones. Links to the latest drivers for NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel are provided below:
2. Best Graphics Settings for Performance
Adjusting the in-game settings can drastically affect your game's performance. To do this, navigate to Options > Display > Video. For optimal performance, Fullscreen Mode should definitely be set to Fullscreen.
Certain visual effects such as Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Vignette should be turned off for better frame rates.
Most importantly, settings like Texture Quality, Lighting Quality, and Shadow Filtering can be reduced for a considerable FPS boost.
Also, setting Ambient Occlusion to Off or SSAO can also contribute to better performance. Additionally, setting High Fidelity Objects Amount to Low or Medium may help boost FPS on some systems.
For sure, the adjustments to Texture Quality, Shadow Filtering, and Ambient Occlusion can make a noticeable difference in performance. But let's not forget about the true game-changer here for those with NVIDIA graphics cards that support DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling).
Without reservation, I strongly recommend activating DLSS if your NVIDIA graphics card supports it. Preferably, utilize it in either Quality or Balanced mode. This feature, powered by AI, is surprisingly effective in enhancing performance while maintaining visual fidelity. DLSS remarkably boosts frame rates by employing AI to upscale lower-resolution images in real-time, resulting in an incredible increase in performance. Don't miss out on harnessing the full potential of this technology; it could completely transform your Battlefield 2042 gaming experience.
Note: With a high-performance rig, keeping the graphics and resolution too low may cause your CPU to struggle to keep up with your GPU, leading to a bottleneck. That's why it's crucial to adjust the graphics settings according to your PC specifications.
Graphics Settings Suggestions
|Post Process Quality
|High Fidelity Objects Amount
|Dynamic Resolution Scale
|DRS Refresh Rate Target
|Quality or Balanced
|Ray Traced Ambient Occlusion
|NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency
|Enabled + Boost
|Enabled + Boost
|Enabled + Boost
|Latency Flash Indicator
|Future Frame Rendering
By the way, your FPS will differ depending on the server and game modes (Multiplayer, Solo&co-op, All-out Warfare, Conquest, Breakthrough, Hazard Zone, Portal) in BF 2042, so keep that in mind.
3. Edit the Config File
For low-end and mid-end systems, you can enhance the performance by altering some values, such as DirectX, Shadow, and Weapon DOF, in the config file. High-end PCs may not need to edit the config file, but it's worth giving it a try.
Follow these steps:
- Quit Battlefield 2042.
- Navigate to C:\Users\%UserName%\Documents\Battlefield 2042\settings
- Right-click on the PROFSAVE_profile file.
- Open with Notepad.
- Find GstRender.Dx12Enabled
- Change "GstRender.Dx12Enabled 0" to GstRender.Dx12Enabled 1
- Next, find GstRender.ShadowQuality
- Change its value to 0
- Find GstRender.WeaponDOF
- Change its value to 0
- Save the changes.
Additional Configuration Parameters
For a potentially substantial FPS boost, consider changing additional settings as suggested in the detailed list provided below.
4. High CPU Usage Fix (100% Usage)
Indisputably, the Achilles heel of Battlefield 2042 gameplay is high CPU usage. Players universally report alarming 100% CPU usage when they play the game, manifesting in problems like freezing, stuttering, and the dreaded fps drop. It’s an extreme, yet unsurprisingly common issue with Battlefield 2042. Although it's known to be CPU intensive, 100% CPU usage often points towards incorrect graphic settings.
If you've tried increasing the graphics settings and resolution and are still stuck at high usage, don't despair. There's a definite solution to this issue. Process Lasso, a software designed to limit your CPU usage, might be your saving grace.
Process Lasso Guide
Here's a step-by-step guide to employing this potentially game-changing tool:
- Download and install Process Lasso from the official website: https://bitsum.com/. Don't worry; it's absolutely safe and widely used among the gaming community for its effectiveness.
- Launch Process Lasso and let it run in the background. It's a light program that won't eat up your system resources, so rest assured it won't affect your gameplay.
- Start Battlefield 2042 and wait for it to load completely. This is crucial as we want Process Lasso to recognize the game running.
- While keeping the game running, press Alt + Tab to switch back to Process Lasso. This swift maneuver will ensure Process Lasso is active while the game is still in session.
- In the list of processes, find the Battlefield 2042 .exe file (BF2042.exe). The game should be easy to spot, usually hogging a large portion of your CPU usage.
- Right-click on the BF2042.exe file and from the drop-down menu, select CPU Limiter. This is where the magic happens.
- A new window will appear with several options. Set the 'When CPU use is' value to 98%, the 'Reduce by this many CPU cores' value to 1, and the 'For a period of' value to 1. These settings instruct Process Lasso to limit your CPU usage to 98% when it reaches 100%, thus preventing your CPU from maxing out.
- Click 'Add Rule' and then minimize the Process Lasso window. The rule is now active and will work in the background as you enjoy a smoother gaming experience.
Additional Process Lasso Settings
In addition to this, there are also several optimal settings within Process Lasso that you can adjust for an enhanced gaming performance. Most importantly, make sure to:
- Enable Performance Mode: This setting allows Process Lasso to aggressively optimize your CPU for performance.
- Enable ProBalance: This balances CPU and disk usage intelligently, boosting overall performance and eliminating instances of stuttering and freezing.
- Set CPU affinity for games: By specifying which CPU cores Battlefield 2042 should use, this setting can improve performance and reduce the probability of an fps drop.
- Disable unnecessary background services: Doing this frees up CPU resources for Battlefield 2042, ensuring the game gets the lion's share of your system's resources.
- Use the Process Lasso Scheduler: This feature allows you to fine-tune the CPU scheduler to enhance performance specifically for Battlefield 2042.
With Process Lasso and the tweaks above, you should experience a notable decrease in CPU usage, giving your system a bit more breathing room. Undeniably, these steps might just be the panacea for the chronic high CPU usage issue in Battlefield 2042, paving the way for a smoother, more enjoyable gaming experience.
5. Disable in-game Overlay
The in-game overlay feature can surprisingly cause performance issues. Therefore, it's a good idea to disable it for a better gaming experience. You should disable the in-game overlay in Origin/EA App.
Origin: Application Settings > Origin In-Game > Enable Origin In-Game > Turn off
EA Desktop App: Settings > Application > In-game overlay > Turn off
6. Turn Off Control Flow Guard for Battlefield 2042 (Microstutter Fix)
To maximize the smoothness of your Battlefield 2042 experience, fix micro stutters and low FPS, you may want to consider turning off CFG for the game. Fear not, as this doesn't pose a significant security risk, and the game's inherent protections should be sufficient to keep your system safe.
Here's a detailed, step-by-step guide on how to disable CFG for Battlefield 2042:
- Press Windows + S to open the search bar, and then type in 'Exploit Protection'. You should see it appear as a system setting.
- Upon opening the Exploit Protection settings, switch to the Program settings tab. This tab contains a list of all the programs for which you can adjust the protection settings.
- Click on the 'Add program to customize' option and then choose 'Select a program by its executable file' from the dropdown menu. This allows you to specify which program's settings you want to adjust.
- Navigate to your Battlefield 2042 installation directory and select the game's .exe file (BF2042.exe).
- In the custom settings for BF2042.exe, scroll down until you find 'Control Flow Guard (CFG)'. Click on it and then choose 'Override system settings'.
- After overriding the system settings, make sure to turn off 'Control Flow Guard'.
- Finally, click 'Apply' to save the changes.
- Repeat the same steps for BF2042_launcher.exe as well.
- Now, you should be all set to enjoy a smoother gaming experience.
In addition, it's worth mentioning that this change will only apply to Battlefield 2042 and won't affect the CFG settings for any other programs on your system. Hence, your overall system security should remain intact.
Ultimately, while CFG serves an important purpose in preserving system security, deactivating it for Battlefield 2042 might be the much-needed solution to address those pesky microstutters. Armed with these instructions, you should be well on your way to a smoother, more immersive gaming experience. Enjoy the thrill of the battlefield without the frustration of microstutters.
7. Delete Temp Files
Removing temporary files can certainly boost your system's performance:
- Go to C:\Users\%UserName%\Documents\Battlefield 2042\cache
- Delete all files in the cache folder.
- Press the Windows key + R, type %temp%, and press Enter.
- Select all files and folders, right-click and choose "Delete". Skip any in-use files.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4, replacing %temp% with temp, then prefetch.
- Empty your Recycle Bin.
It's undeniable that a multitude of factors can impact the performance of Battlefield 2042, leading to low fps, stuttering, freezing, high CPU usage, and fps drops. Thankfully, these concerns are not beyond remedy. By diligently following the steps outlined in this guide, you can positively expect a substantial boost in your FPS and rectify any performance hitches you've previously faced. Most significantly, the journey to optimising your gaming experience doesn't end here - persist in your exploration of various settings until you strike that ideal equilibrium for your system. Here's to an exhilarating gaming journey ahead!