Several factors can cause your FIFA 23 game to stutter, low frame rates, and FPS drop issues. These problems can be due to a hardware issue, an operating system issue, a graphics setting issue, issues with third-party software running in the background, or issues with the game files.
To fix FPS drop & stuttering and improve performance in FIFA 23 on PC, you need to perform a few troubleshooting steps, which I will share with you in this guide. You can find the best graphics settings for performance and troubleshooting steps below.
1. Best Graphics Settings for Performance
There are few options in the graphics settings, but changes to your FIFA 23 graphics settings usually make the most significant performance improvement for low to mid-end rigs.
Go to the Game Settings (Customize > Settings). Then open the Display Configuration menu. You will see Rendering Quality under Strand Based Hair. Lowering the Rendering Quality will increase the performance, especially if you have a low-end PC.
You should try limiting the Frame Rate to 60. Sometimes the graphics card overheats when trying as hard as it can and slows down because of it, causing a stutter issue while playing a game.
If you are not interested in realistic hair, turn off Strand Based Hair. Additionally, playing the game with Full Screen display mode can help to increase performance.
If you barely play FIFA 23 on your Windows PC, it's also a good idea to lower the Resolution. And also, turning on the Dynamic Resolution Scale can improve performance in FIFA 23, but don't forget that it will significantly decrease visual quality.
When you are done with graphics settings, click Apply, exit the game and try the methods below.
2. Update Your GPU Drivers
In some cases, outdated graphics drivers can be the culprit of stuttering or frame rate drops. Go to your video card's official website and, download the latest driver, then install it. Here are the links:
3. NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
Making changes to your NVIDIA control panel can be essential to fix performance issues in FIFA 23. Open the NVIDIA control panel and follow these steps:
- Go to the "Manage 3D settings" menu under 3D Settings
- Open the Program Settings tab.
- Select FIFA 23 from the list. If you cannot see FIFA 23, add FIFA23.exe manually.
- Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
- Set Texture filtering - Quality to High performance
- Set Vertical Sync to Adaptive
Note: Adaptive locks maximum FPS in FIFA 23 to the refresh rate of your monitor. But it can reduce stutter and freeze.
- Also, if you are a laptop user, set the "Preferred graphics processor for this program" to High-Performance NVIDIA Processor.
- Click Apply.
4. AMD Control Panel Settings
AMD users can tweak their AMD Software (Adrenalin Edition) to improve performance in FIFA 23.
- Right-click on the blank area on the desktop and select AMD Radeon Software.
- Open the Gaming menu on your AMD Radeon Software.
- Select FIFA 23 and customize the settings.
- Set Texture Filtering Quality to Performance.
5. Tweak Your Power Plan Settings
Using a high-performance power plan on Windows PC will allow your computer to perform better at the cost of way more energy consumption and temp levels. Follow the steps and change your power plan to High Performance:
- Type power options into the Windows search box.
- Open the Power & sleep setting
- Find "Additional power settings" in the window that opens and click it.
- Select High performance
6. Turn Off Fullscreen Optimizations
Fullscreen optimizations don't always improve gaming performance. On the contrary, the fullscreen optimizations may decrease performance and cause stuttering in Fifa 23 on Windows PC. Here are the steps on how to disable fullscreen optimizations:
- Go to FIFA 23 installation folder.
Steam: Library > Right-click EA SPORTS FIFA 23 > Manage > Browse local files
EA: My Collection > FIFA 23 > Three dots > View properties > Browse
- Right-click on FIFA23.exe
Note: If you have the trial version of Fifa 23, you must also apply the steps below for FIFA23_Trial.exe.
- Hit Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the Disable fullscreen optimizations
- Then, click on the button "Change high DPI settings"
- Select the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" under the High DPI scaling override section.
- Select Application from the list.
- Hit OK
- Finally, press Apply and then OK.
7. Tweak Your Windows Graphics Settings
You should check your operating system's Graphics Settings to run FIFA 23 with a high-performance GPU and play in high-performance mode. Most laptop users should pay attention to this. On laptops with two GPUs, you have to force the game to use the high-performance dedicated GPU. To do this, follow these steps:
- Type graphics into the Windows search bar.
- Open the Graphics Settings
- Under the "Graphics performance preference" section, use the drop-down list "Choose an app to set preference" and select Desktop app.
- Use the "Choose an app to set preference" drop-down list under the "Graphics performance preference" section.
- Select the "Desktop app" from the list.
- Hit the Browse
- Select FIFA23.exe and click Add.
- You will see FIFA 23 on the list. Select FIFA 23 and click on the Options button.
- Choose High performance
- Now hit the Save button.
Note: Again, if you are on the trial version, perform the above steps for FIFA23_Trial.exe as well.
8. Turn Off Overlays
Overlays cause extreme performance degradation on some systems. So you should disable EA/Origin, Steam, and Discord overlays on your PC. I have shared information on how to turn off the overlays below.
- Exit the game and launch Origin.
- Open the My Game Library
- Right-click on the FIFA 23.
- Hit Game Properties
- Untick the Enable Origin In Game for FIFA 23
- Click on the Save.
EA Desktop App:
- Close FIFA 23 and run the EA desktop app.
- Click on the three lines in the upper left.
- Select Settings
- Go to the Applications menu.
- Scroll down and turn off the "Enable In-game overlay"
- Exit FIFA 23 and go to the Library page on your Steam.
- Right-click on EA SPORTS FIFA 23
- Select Properties
- On the General tab, uncheck the "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"
- Close the game and go to your Discord app.
- Open the User Settings
- Go to the Game Overlay
- Turn off the "Enable in-game overlay"
9. Optimize Your Discord
You can also optimize your Discord to it won't eat the resources of your graphics card.
- Open your Discord.
- Go to the User Settings menu.
- Go ahead to the Advanced menu.
- Switch to off the Hardware Acceleration
- Restart Discord.
10. Adjust System Visual Effects
If your PC is too close to the FIFA 23 minimum system requirements, in other words, your computer is barely running the game, you can adjust system visual effects for the best performance.
- Type advanced system settings into the Windows search bar.
- Open the "View advanced system settings"
- Click on the "Settings..." under the Performance section.
- Go to the Visual Effects tab.
- Select Custom and uncheck all settings except "Show thumbnails instead of icons" and "Smooth edges of screen fonts"
- Press OK. You can revert to default settings if you don't like that.
11. Close Unnecessary Apps
Closing unnecessary system services and tasks can help to increase the amount of system resources available for gaming. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open your Task Manager and see which processes use your RAM and CPU the most. While playing FIFA 23, you should close applications that use RAM and CPU too much in the background, such as Google Chrome and Spotify.
12. Remove Temporary Files
Temporary system files are stored on your PC from virtually almost all actions performed. Your PC may occasionally become clogged with temporary files that take up hard disk space and slow the system down. So temporary files will lower your FPS in FIFA 23 if you have a low-end PC. Cleaning temporary files on your system will increase performance in your game. You can follow the steps below to remove temporary files on your PC:
- Hit Windows + R
- Type %temp% into the box.
- Press Enter
- The Temp folder will open. Press Ctrl + All and delete everything. Skip actions if there are any files or folders that cannot delete.
- Then press the Windows logo and R keys
- Type prefetch
- Hit Enter
- Delete all files.
- After that, press Windows + R
- Type temp into the box
- Press Enter key.
- Select all folders and files, then delete all of them.
- Finally, type Disk Cleanup into the Windows search box.
- Open the Disc Cleanup
- Select Disk
- Click the "Clean up system files" button and the disk again.
- Select these from the list:
- Windows Update Cleanup
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Windows error reports and feedback di...
- DirectX Shader Cache
- Delivery Optimization Files
- Recycle Bin
- Temporary files
- Click OK and select Delete Files
13. Install the Game on SSD
I recommend installing the game on an SSD, if available on your PC, to reduce the loading screen time in EA SPORTS FIFA 23. SSDs can be tens of times faster than HDDs and decrease loading times to seconds.
14. Reduce Ping and Fix Lag
- Go to the ExitLag page
- Click on the “FREE 3 DAYS TRIAL” button.
- Create an account.
- Verify the Email
- Download and install the ExitLag.
- Launch the ExitLag application.
- Search and select FIFA 23 in the ExitLag app.
- Select a game region. Choose the region where your game server is hosted.
- Hit the APPLY ROUTES button.