Dying Light 2 FPS Boost Guide - Here are tips to improve performance in Dying Light 2 Stay Human on Windows PC.
While playing Dying Light 2 on your PC, you may encounter performance issues such as low frame rate, stuttering, fps drop, freezing, and lag spikes.
To increase FPS and fix these performance problems in Dying Light 2, try the tips are listed in order, so start with the first one and then continue to the next ones.
1. GPU drivers
Out-of-date graphics drivers can cause various issues and are one of the first things to check when a game is having performance issues.
So if you wanna get better performance in Dying Light 2, you should check if your video card drivers are up to date. Use these links:
2. NVIDIA Control Panel settings
With a simple change in Nvidia's panel, it is possible to provide a slight performance increase in Dying Light 2.
- Exit Dying Light 2.
- Right-click on a blank space on the desktop, and select NVIDIA Control Panel
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, go to 3D Settings > manage 3D settings > Program Settings
- Click on the “Add” buton
- Select Dying Light 2 and click the “Add Selected Program“
- Set “Power management mode” to “Prefer maximum performance”
- Set “Texture filtering – Quality” to “High performance”
- Click Apply
3. AMD Radeon settings
After making sure you have an up-to-date AMD Radeon Software Adrenaline, apply the following settings.
- Exit the game
- Open Radeon software
- Click the Gaming tab
- Select Dying Light 2
- Disable Radeon Anti-Lag
- Disable Radeon Chill
- Disable Enhanced Sync
- Set the “Wait for Vertical Refresh” to Always off
- Click the Advanced
- Set the “Texture Filtering Quality” to Performance
4. Best graphics settings for performance
First, go to the Video menu in Options and ensure the Window Mode is Fullscreen.
You can keep the Resolution at default, but if your PC is barely running Dying Light 2, it's a good idea to lower the resolution a bit.
You should turn Vertical Sync off. If screen tearing occurs, you can turn on vertical sync.
If your GPU supports NVIDIA's DLSS, you should enable DLSS to increase performance and FPS in Dying Light 2. Just set "Upscaler Mode" to "DLSS, balanced" or "DLSS, performance". If you are not satisfied with the quality of the textures, you can use DLSS in Quality mode. AMD users can enable FSR.
If the game looks blurry for you, just turn off FSR/DLSS. But doing this will decrease the performance. Also, you can disable the Motion Blur Quality. And, reducing Antialiasing can also reduce the blur a bit.
You can find the recommended performance settings in the table below.
Options > Video > Advanced Video Settings
|Minimum System||Performance||Quality-Performance||Ray Tracing|
|Renderer Mode (*)||D3D11||D3D11||D3D12||D3D12 Ultimate|
|Game Screen Size||100||100|
|Field of View||-10||0||0||0|
|Motion Blur Quality||None||None||None||None|
|Sun Shadows Quality||PCF||PCF||PCF||PCF|
|Contact Shadows Quality||None||None||Medium||Ultra|
|Ambient Occlusion Quality||None||Low||Low||Ultra Quality|
|Global Illumination Quality||Low||Low||High||Ultra|
* Do not make a quick decision when setting Renderer Mode. DirectX 11 (D3D11) offers better performance on some PCs, while on others, DirectX 12 (D3D12) provides better performance. So it would be best if you decided after testing the performance in the game a bit.
Do not forget to restart the game after changes.
Streaming textures in newly released games these days requires an SSD. HDD is very slow.
In addition, SSDs are very advantageous as they speed up the loading screens.
In short, if you have an SSD, I suggest you install or move the game to the SSD. If you don't have an SSD, it's time to get one.
6. Disable full-screen optimizations and override DPI scaling
Playing Dying Light 2 in full-screen mode improves performance. However, you should also disable full-screen optimizations. I've observed that making these changes gives a performance boost in Dying Light 2.
- Go to the folder where DL2 is installed. So go to Library on Steam.
- Right-click on Dying Light 2
- Click Manage > Browse local files
- Navigate to ph\work\bin\x64
- Right-click on DyingLightGame_x64_rwdi.exe in the x64 folder.
- Hit the Properties
- Tick “Disable full-screen optimizations” on the Compatibility tab.
- After that, click on the “Change high DPI settings” button.
- Under the “High DPI scaling override” section, tick the “Override high DPI scaling behavior“
- Use the “Scaling performed by:” drop-down menu and select the “Application”
- Click on the OK and again OK.
- Memory Leak Fix: If you encounter memory leak issue in Dying Light 2, ISLC will be your solution.
- Power Options: To increase the performance you should set the Power Options to High or Extreme.
- Background Applications: If your PC is running slowly and getting low FPS in Dying Light 2, you should disable unnecessary startup programs on your OS.
- High CPU Usage Fix: If your CPU usage is extremely high while playing DL2, Process Lasso may fix the problem.
I hope this guide helped you increase FPS in Dying Light 2 Stay Human. For more information, check out this guide as well.
I will continue to update the article.