This guide will help you to optimize Rocket League. It will fix the issues such as stuttering, freezing, low fps, fps drop, lagging, spikes while playing Rocket League. I have compiled a few tweaks and recommended settings that can possibly improve your frame rates.
There are 18 ways to get extra performance in Rocket League.
System Requirements for Running Rocket League
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|CPU||2.4 GHz Dual core||2.5+ GHz Quad core|
|GPU||NVIDIA GTX 260 or ATI 4850||NVIDIA GTX 660 or better, ATI 7950 or better|
|DirectX||DirectX 9.0c||DirectX 9.0c|
|RAM||2 GB RAM||4 GB RAM|
|Storage||7 GB available space||7 GB available space|
|OS||Windows 7 or Newer||Windows 7 or Newer|
1) Best Graphics Settings for Rocket League
You can skip this step if you don't want to change graphics settings in your Rocket League account. These graphics settings are for PCs which close to the minimum system requirements.
If you have a good PC, you can increase the settings slightly.
Go to in-game video settings and make sure the settings are as follows.
Options > Video
Display Mode: Fullscreen
Vertical Sync: Check
Render Quality: High Performance
Render Detail: Performance
Texture Detail: Performance
World Detail: Performance
Particle Detail: Performance
High Quality Shaders: Uncheck
Ambient Occlusion: Uncheck
Depth of Field: Uncheck
Light Shafts: Uncheck
Lens Flares: Uncheck
Dynamic Shadows: Uncheck
Motion Blur: Uncheck
Weather Effects: Uncheck
Transparent Goalposts: Check
Apply and Exit the game.
2) Launch Options
To improve performance in Rocket League using launch commands, follow these steps:
- Go to the list of games in the Steam library.
- Right-click the Rocket League and click the Properties.
- Click the Set Launch Options in the General tab.
- Type the following commands into the space in the incoming window.
-high -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -nomovie -nomansky -AllowBackgroundAudio +mat_antialias 0 -malloc=system
Note: You can also do this in Epic Games Launcher by following these steps: Click your profile picture in Epic games launcher. Then go to Settings > Manage Games. Click on Rocket League. Check the "Additional Command line Arguments" box and paste the above commands into this box.
3) TASystemSettings.ini File
- Go to Documents > My Games > Rocket League > TAGame > Config
- Open the TASystemSettings.ini file in the Config folder.
- Delete everything in the TASystemSettings.ini file
- Copy these codes.
- Paste the codes into the TASystemSettings.ini file.
- Save the file.
- After launching the game, if you want to change the resolution, go to Options > Video.
4) Update Your GPU Drivers
Your graphics driver is software that allows your operating system and programs to use your computer's graphics hardware. If you play PC games, you should keep your computer's graphics drivers updated to get the best performance out of your hardware.
When it comes to games like Rocket League, outdated graphics drivers could result in low FPS and lag during gameplay. Therefore, it's recommended to always have the latest drivers installed for your specific graphics card. Updating graphics drivers can optimize your graphics card's performance and provide a smoother, lag-free experience.
For Nvidia Graphics Cards:
Users with Nvidia graphics cards can update their drivers through the GeForce Experience program, which automatically notifies you of new driver releases from Nvidia. Having a recent driver version can improve performance and fix bugs related to the game.
- Download and install GeForce Experience here.
- After installation, open the program and go to the 'Drivers' tab.
- Click on 'Check for Updates'.
- If there's a new update available, it will be displayed. Click on 'Download' and then 'Express Installation'.
For AMD Graphics Cards:
AMD graphics cards users can update their drivers through the AMD Radeon Software, which provides updates and performance improvements for popular games.
- Download and install the AMD Radeon Software here.
- After installation, open the program and click on 'Home'.
- In the Home panel, click on 'Software Update' and then 'Check for Updates'.
- If there's an update available, click on 'Download and Install'.
For Intel Graphics Cards:
If you have an Intel graphics card, you can use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant for any driver updates.
- Download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant here.
- After installation, open the program and it will automatically scan for driver updates.
- If there's an update available, it will be displayed on the main screen. Click on 'Download' to get the latest update.
Remember, before installing new drivers, it's a good idea to uninstall the old drivers to avoid potential conflicts. You should always restart your computer after a new driver installation for the changes to take effect. Updating graphics drivers regularly not only improves gaming performance but also keeps your system secure against any potential threats.
5) NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to the Adjust image settings with preview tab.
- Click the “Use my preference emphasising“ (If you have a mid&high end pc, Let the 3D application decide)
- Put the bar in Performance mode.
- Click the Manage 3D settings
- Click the Program Settings
- Click the Add
- Select the Rocket League from the list
- After, make the following settings
Antialiasing – Mode: Off
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Preferred refresh rate: Application-controlled
Texture filtering – Quality: High performance
- If you have a notebook, make sure you are selected the “High-performance NVIDIA processor” on preferred graphics processor.
- Apply and close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
6) AMD Radeon Settings
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings window.
- Click on the Gaming tab.
- Then click on Global Settings.
- Go to the Anti-aliasing mode, choose Override application settings.
- Click on the Anti-aliasing level, so make sure you are selected the 2X
- Go to the Anisotropic Filtering Mode and turn it on.
- Then, click on the Anisotropic Filtering Level, so make sure you are selected the 2X.
- Click on the Texture Filtering Quality and select the Performance.
- Now, click on the Wait for Vertical Refresh and select the Always off.
- Click on the Tessellation Mode and select the Override application settings.
- Finally, click on the Maximum Tessellation Level and select the 32x or lower.
7) Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
The “Intelligent standby list cleaner” application will monitor and clear the memory standby list when it is > 1000mb (1gb). It will help players to fix stutters in games.
- Download the Intelligent standby list cleaner
- Run the 7-zip file.
- Extract to a folder.
- Go to that folder.
- Run the “Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC” application.
- Check the “Start ISLC minimized and auto-Start monitoring”
- Also, check the “Launch ISLC on user logon”
- Now, click on the Start button
8) Full-screen Optimizations
Also, disabling the full screen optimizations may boost FPS and performance in Rocket League.
- Go to the folder where the game is installed.
- Right-click on the RocketLeague.exe application.
- Tap the Properties
- Tick Disable full-screen optimizations on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the OK
9) Power Options
If the CPU cooler is not enough, you can skip this setting. Processor temperature may increase by 5-6 degrees.
- Right-click the Windows icon on the bottom left.
- Click the Power Options
- Click the Additional power settings
- Select the High performance on the Preferred plans tab.
- After, click the Change plan settings link next to High performance.
- Tap on the Change advanced power settings
- Find Processor power management in the incoming list, click the + icon on the left side.
- Set Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 100%
- Click on the OK
10) Game Mode
In some cases, enabling or disabling the game mode may increase the performance and FPS in Rocket League.
- To turn off Windows 10 game mode, click the Start icon to bring up the Start menu. Then open the Settings.
- Click the Gaming
- On the Game Bar tab, set the “Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar” to Off.
- On the Captures tab, set the “Record in the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- On the Game Mode tab, set the “Game Mode” to Off.
11) Windows Performance Options
- Type performance in the search section of Windows, click to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows from the results.
- Select the Adjust for best performance from the options in the Performance Options window that opens.
- Click OK
12) Cleaning Temporary Files
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type %temp%
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Temp folder that opens. You can skip undeleted.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type temp
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the folder that opens.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type prefetch
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Prefetch folder that opens.
Finally, empty the Recycle Bin
If you have a Solid-State Drive, I recommend that you install the game on the SSD or move the game files to the SSD.
14) Optimize Your Discord
Discord is a widely-used communication platform among gamers. It's useful for in-game communication and organizing teams, but some of its features may consume resources that could otherwise be used to improve your Rocket League experience. Here's how to optimize your Discord settings for better game performance.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
Hardware acceleration is a feature in Discord that uses your GPU to make Discord run smoother. However, this means Discord will consume more of your GPU's resources, which could result in reduced performance in games like Rocket League. Here's how you can disable it:
- Open Discord.
- Go to User Settings (the cog icon near your username at the bottom of the Discord window).
- In the left panel, scroll down to Appearance under the App Settings section.
- Click on the Advanced.
- Then you'll find Hardware Acceleration. Toggle this setting off.
- Discord will ask to restart to apply the changes. Click Okay to confirm.
Disable Discord In-Game Overlay
Discord's in-game overlay feature allows you to access Discord messages and voice chat while playing your game, but it can also cause performance issues in some games. Here's how to disable it:
- Open Discord.
- Go to User Settings
- In the left panel, click on Game Overlay under the Activity Settings section.
- In the Game Overlay settings, you'll find "Enable in-game overlay". Toggle this setting off.
By adjusting these settings in Discord, you should be able to minimize its impact on your gaming performance. Don't forget to restart Discord to ensure the new settings are applied. Always try to balance the functionality and performance when adjusting such settings, and choose the options that suit your gaming experience best.
15) Tweak Google Chrome Settings
Google Chrome is a resource-intensive browser, and it could potentially impact your gaming performance, especially when running in the background. Here's how you can optimize your Google Chrome settings to ensure it doesn't interfere with your Rocket League gameplay.
Disable "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"
This feature allows Google Chrome to run applications even when the browser is closed. It could consume system resources and potentially affect your gaming performance. To disable this feature:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the three-dot menu icon on the top right corner of the browser.
- Scroll down to Settings and click on it.
- In the Settings tab, click on System
- Find the option that says "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".
- Toggle this setting off.
By disabling this feature, Chrome will no longer consume your system's resources when it's closed, which may lead to an improvement in your game's performance. Remember to close Google Chrome when you're playing games to ensure it's not using your system's resources.
16) Background Processes
Some programs may affect the performance of Rocket League. You should close all unnecessary Apps, such as Chrome, and OneDrive. Also, if Discord is idle, you should quit Discord.
Also, you can use the CCleaner to go through your startup and scheduled tasks and disable everything that you consider unnecessary.
17) Increase The Priority
To fix performance issues in Rocket League, you should adjust this setting every time you enter the game.
- Launch the game.
- Simultaneously press the ALT and TAB keys to minimize the game.
- Open the Task Manager
- Click on the Details Tab
- In the list, find the RocketLeague.exe application.
- Right-click on the RocketLeague.exe application and Set priority to High.
18) Reduce Ping and Fix Lag
- Go to the ExitLag page
- Click on the “FREE 3 DAYS TRIAL” button.
- Create an account.
- Verify the Email
- Download and install the ExitLag.
- Launch the ExitLag.
- Search the Rocket League in the ExitLag app.
- Select the Rocket League
- Select a game region
- Click on the APPLY ROUTES button.
- Play the game.