If the game does not open when you run Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, it crashes at startup or freezes randomly during the gameplay, these listed solutions may be useful for you. I will update the list when I find different solutions.
You should update the GPU driver or reinstall if it is already up to date.
- Download the latest graphics card drivers
Nvidia driver is here
AMD driver is here
- Download the DDU to completely remove old drivers.
- Run the 7z file and extract it to a folder on the desktop.
- Select device type. By the way, before doing this, recommended that reboot the Windows in safe mode.
- Select “Clean and restart”
- After that, install the driver and restart the PC.
Check for Windows updates. You should update your OS and install&repair latest vcredists.
Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
.NET Framework 4.8: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
.NET Core 2.1 Runtime: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/thank-you/runtime-2.1.17-windows-x64-installer
Visual C++ 2017 and 2019 Redistributables: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
In particular, people who get the MSVCP140.dll error should install the above.
The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program fix this problem.
Verify the integrity of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord files.
- Go to the Steam library
- Right-click on the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, go to Properties.
- Go to the LOCAL FILES tab
- Press the VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES button.
By the way, checking the file integrity also fixes the following error:
"The application has crashed due to a fatal error while loading the file.
A common cause is that the game file is corrupt.
Recompiling the game file may solve the problem.
-File : .j.jmodules/native/assetpackages/core_game.tpac -Error : Decompression failed."
- Navigate to C:\ProgramData\
- Delete the Mount and Blade II Bannerlord folder in the ProgramData folder. (C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord)
If you cannot access the ProgramData folder, click on the View, select the Hidden items
Programs running in the background may be preventing Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord from running. Such as MSI Afterburner, RTSS Rivatuner, Cryptographic Service Provider (CSP), Fraps, Intel Driver & Support Assistant, HWiNFO, EVGA Precision X1, ASUS GPU Tweak II, Razer Synapse, Keyboard&Mouse software, etc…
Instead of closing all programs individually, you can start Windows in safe mode or disable some of the services on System Configuration.
- Type the msconfig on Windows search box.
- Press Enter key
- Go to the Services tab.
- Select “Hide all Microsoft services”
- Click on the “Disable all” button.
- Finally click on the OK button.
- Restart the PC.
Don’t worry, you can go back to the old settings by pressing the “Enable all” button.
I heard that antivirus software is blocking the saving feature of the Bannerlord, so crashes can occur. Try disabling the Windows Defender & Antivirus temporarily.
Try running the game as an administrator.
- Go to the folder where the game is installed.
(Steam Library > Right-click on Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord > Properties > LOCAL FILES > BROWSE LOCAL FILES)
- Navigate to Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client
- Right-click on the TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe in the Win64_Shipping_Client folder.
- Click the Run as administrator
There is a solution to crashes that occur without the error message on the first loading screen. This solution is from the Steam community:
i have started investigate "rgl_log_7092.txt" at "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\logs" . After the last line, there is no loading message and it ends. The file in the last line was "std_TaleWorlds_CampaignSystem-zho-CN.xml". I have just delete it which locates at "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBox\ModuleData\Languages\CN".Barbasan
After that, game was able to get to the main menu without crashing. I have played a little, everything looks fine so far.
I suggest you back up the CNs folder first and then delete the CNs folder.
If your Windows language is English US, change it to English UK.
- Go to Windows Settings > Time & Language
- Click on Region on the left-hand side.
- Switch the Regional format to English United Kingdom from English United States.
- Then click on the Language in the left column.
- Click on the "Add a language" under the Preferred languages.
- Select "English (United Kingdom)" from the list.
- After that change the "Windows display language" at the top to "English (United Kingdom)". Windows update may be required to do this. Check it out.
- Now you can play the game.
Just an addition to everything here because I tried all this and it still wasn't working. With windows 10 Microsoft backs up a lot of information to the One Drive both on the cloud and on a folder on your PC. Make sure all this information is also deleted. I cleared out both of these folders after doing all of the above steps and uninstalling and it finally worked for me. I think the crash may have had to do with an ini file in the cloud.
I got windows 10 pro. My game used to work fine, now suddenly i cannot launch at all. When i tap the play button in steam it shows "the mount and blade bannerlord" but the moment i move the mouse it turns to the regular one and the game does not launch. However, the computer registers it as if it had launched and shows it in the buttom bar of the screen.
I have already deleted the entire game and nothing changed. I validaded the game with the same results?
If you haven't solved this yet make sure to uninstall it and remove every trace of it from your computer AND Onedrive that was my issue is I did all the above steps but some ini files (at least I'm guessing they created the issues) were saved to a onedrive folder on my PC. As soon as I deleted those files PRESTO game worked again.
Just tried everything, and nothing works. Tried to do the exact same thing as the developers, nothing worked...
Which of those methods are going to delete saved games and which will not?
None of them.
Save folder location: C:\Users\...\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord
You can easily back it up.
when im trying to launch game from steam game won't open after perfoming first time setup, im trying to install .NET Framework 4.8 but it says: is not supported on this operating system. is there any solution for it ?
You need to upgrade your Windows
what do you mean by upgrade?
E.g. Windows 8 to 8.1, and the operating system must be originally licensed.
solution number 4 worked for me, thank you very much. 🙂