Some players may get less FPS than expected in Valheim. If you too are struggling with the performance issue in Valheim, this guide will tell you about tweaks that will increase your fps significantly.
How to improve performance in Valheim
1) 30 FPS Lock Fix
If you experience FPS capped to 30 or 60 in Valheim, it is most likely related to your vsync settings.
First of all, make sure that VSync is disabled in graphics settings (Settings > Graphics).
If you are an Nvidia user, open your NVIDIA Control Panel and check the vertical sync options.
Setting vertical sync to fast on the Nvidia Control Panel will uncap framerate. Follow these steps if you don’t know how to do it:
- Exit the game.
- Navigate to NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings
- Click “Add” button.
- Select “valheim.exe” from the list and click “Add Selected Program” button.
- Find the “Vertical sync” under the “Feature” column.
- Set it to Fast
- Also, switch “Triple buffering” option to “On“
2) Config file
It is possible to increase the performance in Valheim thanks to the two codes we will add to the game’s configuration file.
- In the Steam library, right-click on Valheim.
- Hover the mouse over “Manage“.
- Click on the “Browse local files“.
- Open the valheim_Data folder.
- Right-click on “boot.config” file and open it with Notepad.
- Add the following codes to the top line of the opened file.
- Save the file (CTRL+S).
- Close it.
3) Launch options
We will use a parameter to launch the game in full screen mode. Follow these steps:
- Launch Steam
- Go to your library page in Steam.
- Right-click on Valheim
- Select Properties
- On the “General” tab, type/paste the following code into the “Launch Options” box.
- Close the window and launch Valheim.
If you are interested in learning more about the tips on how to boost your fps then be sure to check out my guide on how to improve gaming performance on Windows PC.
Last Updated on 1 March, 2021 11:55 am EST