In this guide, I will explain in detail how to increase your FPS in DOOM Eternal. I have listed methods to fix the performance issues (stuttering, lagging, low frame rate, freezing, fps drops) in the game.
There are 17 ways to boost the performance in Doom Eternal.
Can I run Doom Eternal?
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|CPU||Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better||Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better|
|GPU||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB), GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 280(3GB), AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB), RX 470 (4GB)||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), NVIDIA GeForce 970 (4GB), AMD RX 480 (8GB)|
|RAM||8 GB RAM||8 GB RAM|
|Storage||50 GB available space||50 GB available space|
|OS||64-bit Windows 7 / 64-Bit Windows 10||64-bit Windows 10|
1) Best Graphics Settings for Doom Eternal
You can skip this step if you don’t want to change graphics settings. These High Performance graphics settings are for PCs which close to the minimum system requirements.
If you have a good PC, you can increase the settings slightly.
Go to in-game graphics settings and make sure the settings are as follows.
SETTINGS > VIDEO
|Texture Pool Size||High||Ultra Nightmare|
|Motion Blur Quality||Low||Medium|
|Particles Quality||High||Ultra Nightmare|
|Texture Filtering Quality||High||Ultra Nightmare|
|Resolution Scaling Mode||Dynamic||Dynamic||Dynamic|
|Resolution Scaling Target FPS||60||60||60|
|Depth of Field||Off||Off||On|
|Depth of Field Anti-Aliasing||Off||Off||Off|
If you really have difficulty playing Doom Eternal smoothly, you should keep the resolution as low as possible.
Also, the Resolution Scaling Mode allows to increase your FPS but the graphics may be blurry in the game.
And also, if you encounter screen tearing problem during gameplay, you should enable the Vertical Sync. If you have a monitor with G-SYNC or FreeSync, you can activate them instead of Vsync.
In Doom Eternal, the main settings that impact performance are Shadow Quality, Reflection Quality, Motion Blur Quality, Lights Quality, and Geometric Quality. I recommend keeping these settings as low as possible.
In fact, the best settings depend on PC specs. The reason I share these settings is because I want you to have an idea of what to reduce and what to increase. Lowering all settings sometimes does not work well. Your settings can cause the bottleneck (100% CPU usage). You can find the best graphics settings by test it out.
When the settings are completed, Apply changes and exit the game.
2) Update Your Graphics Drivers
You should keep your computer’s graphics drivers updated. Updating the drivers is a good idea for the best performance.
People who have an NVIDIA graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
People who have an AMD graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
3) Steam Overlay
You should disable the Steam Overlay.
- Go to the Settings page on the Steam.
- Click on the In-Game
- Make sure unchecked the “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game“
- Finally, click on the OK button.
By the way, you should also disable the Nvidia's in-game overlay.
4) NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to the Adjust image settings with preview tab.
- Click the “Use my preference emphasizing“ (If you have a mid&high end pc, Let the 3D application decide)
- Put the bar in Performance mode.
- Click the Manage 3D settings
- Click the Program Settings
- Click the Add
- Select the DOOMEternal from the list, then click on the “Add Selected Program” button.
- After, make the following settings
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Vertical sync: Off
- If you have a notebook, make sure you have selected the “High-performance NVIDIA processor” on preferred graphics processor.
- Apply and close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
5) AMD Radeon Settings
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings window.
- Click on the Gaming tab.
- Then click on Global Settings.
- Click on the Texture Filtering Quality and select the Performance.
6) Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
The “Intelligent standby list cleaner” application will monitor and clear the memory standby list when it is > 1000mb (1gb). It will help players to fix stutters in games.
- Download the Intelligent standby list cleaner
- Run the 7-zip file.
- Extract to a folder.
- Go to the that folder.
- Run the “Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC” application.
- Check the “Start ISLC minimized and auto-Start monitoring”
- Also, check the “Launch ISLC on user logon”
- Now, click on the Start button
7) Full-screen Optimizations & High DPI in Windows 10
- Go to the folder where the game is installed.
(Steam Library > Right-click on Doom Eternal > Properties > LOCAL FILES > BROWSE LOCAL FILES)
- Right-click on the DOOMEternalx64vk.exe
- Hit the Properties
- Tick “Disable full-screen optimizations” on the Compatibility tab.
- After that, click on the “Change high DPI settings” button.
- Under the “High DPI scaling override” section, tick the “Override high DPI scaling behavior“
- Use the “Scaling performed by:” drop-down menu and select the “Application”
- Click on the OK and again OK.
8) Power Options
If the CPU cooler is not enough, you can skip this setting. Processor temperature may increase by 5-6 degrees.
- Right-click the Windows icon on the bottom left.
- Click the Power Options
- Click the Additional power settings
- Select the High performance on the Preferred plans tab.
- After, click the Change plan settings link next to High performance.
- Tap on the Change advanced power settings
- Find Processor power management in the incoming list, click the + icon on the left side.
- Set Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 100%
- Click on the OK
9) Game Mode
- To turn off Windows 10 game mode, click the Start icon to bring up the Start menu. Then open the Settings.
- Click the Gaming
- On the Game Bar tab, set the “Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar” to Off.
- On the Captures tab, set the “Record in the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- On the Game Mode tab, set the “Game Mode” to Off.
If you are using an older version of Windows 10, you may not see the Game Mode settings. In this case, you can configure the settings directly in the Registry.
- Press the Windows logo key and R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Type regedit
- Press the Enter key.
- The Registry Editor will open. In the left panel, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar
- Right-click inside the panel and select New
- Click on the DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Rename the New Key to AllowAutoGameMode
- Right-click on the AllowAutoGameMode
- Select the Modify…
- Set the “Value data” to 0
- Click on the OK button.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your PC.
10) Windows Performance Options
- Type performance in the search section of Windows, click to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows from the results.
- Select the Adjust for best performance from the options in the Performance Options window that opens.
- Click OK
11) Cleaning Temporary Files
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type %temp%
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Temp folder that opens. You can skip undeleted.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type temp
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the folder that opens.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type prefetch
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Prefetch folder that opens.
Finally, empty the Recycle Bin
If you have a Solid-State Drive, I recommend that you install the game on the SSD or move the game files to the SSD.
13) Optimize Your Discord
If you are using Discord, disable the Hardware Acceleration and in-game overlay.
- Open Discord
- Go to the User Settings
- Then, go to the Appearance tab.
- Uncheck the Hardware Acceleration.
- Go to the Overlay on App Settings tab.
- Make sure unchecked the “Enable in-game overlay”
14) Optimize Your Google Chrome
If you’re using Google Chrome, you’ll need to make this setting.
- Go to settings page in Chrome
- Click the Advanced
- Go to the System tab
- Finally, uncheck the “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed”
15) Background Processes
You should close all unnecessary applications, such as Chrome, Spotify, OneDrive. Also, if the Discord is idle, you should quit Discord.
16) CPU Core Unparking – Reducing Stutter
Quick CPU (CPU core parking manager) is a program that stops windows from limiting your CPU power. Unparking cores of CPU allows games to have full access to your processor.
I’ve never heard of this program causing any problems. Nevertheless, you have all the responsibility!
- Download the Quick CPU
- Unzip and install it (x64 folder)
- Run the Quick CPU
- Set “System power plan” to High performance (or Ultimate)
- Set “Core parking index” to 100%
- Set “Turbo boost index” to 100%
- Set “Frequency scaling index” to 100%
17) CPU Limiter – Fix Freezing & Stuttering
If the CPU usage is around 100% while playing DOOM Eternal and you experience freezing/stuttering issues, you can limit your CPU.
- Download and install the Process Lasso
- Run the Process Lasso application.
- Launch Doom Eternal.
- Go to the Process Lasso app and find the DOOMEternalx64vk.exe in “All processes” list.
- Right-click on the DOOMEternalx64vk.exe and select the CPU Limiter
- Set the “When CPU use is” to 98
- Set the “Reduce by this many CPU cores” to 1
- Below the “Reduce by this many CPU cores”, set the “For a period of” to 1
- Click on the Add Rule button.
- Finally click OK button and play the game.