In this guide, I'm focusing on how to fix crashing issues on startup or during mid-game in Warhammer 40,000: Darktide. If you, too, are experiencing the same problems in Darktide, this troubleshooting guide will share tips that may help fix it.
#1: Verify the integrity of game files
Game files can occasionally become corrupted or damaged, which can lead to gameplay problems, crashes, or specific error codes. As a first step, verify the integrity of your game files.
- Go to the Library menu in the Steam application.
- Select Warhammer 40,000: Darktide from the list.
- Click the cogwheel (Manage)
- Select Properties
- Go to the Local Files tab.
- Hit the "Verify integrity of game files..." button.
#2: Run the game using administrator rights
There is a chance that Warhammer 40K Darktide won't get the resources it needs to function properly because it could not have the admin right permissions. In this case, you should run the game using admin rights.
To run Warhammer 40,000: Darktide as an administrator, go to the game install folder and give admin rights to Darktide.exe in the binaries folder. Here are the steps:
- Right-click on Warhammer 40,000: Darktide in Library on Steam.
- Click Manage > Browse local files
- Open the binaries folder.
- Right-click on Darktide.exe and select Properties
- Head over to the "Compatibility" section.
- Check the "Run this program as an administrator"
- Hit Apply and OK.
#3: Lower the worker threads
Lowering the "Worker Threads" option helps to fix crashing issues for those with higher thread count CPUs.
Especially if your game constantly crashes during the missions, you should lower the "Worker Threads". It is configurable in the Darktide launcher. For example, you can turn it down to 6 and check if it fixed your problem.
#4: Update your graphics drivers
An outdated graphics driver is one of the things blocking you from starting Warhammer 40K Darktide or causing random crashes in the game.
The latest GPU drivers include performance and bug fixes. You must make sure that your graphics card is running the most recent drivers in order to enhance your gaming experience.
Firstly, uninstall your current graphics card driver with DDU. Then install the latest drivers.
Note: Don't let Windows install the driver because it usually installs older drivers instead of the latest ones. You should manually download and install the video card drivers.
You can manually download the driver using these links:
- NVIDIA: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support
- INTEL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics
#5: Change the DLSS setting
If you are an NVIDIA user with an RTX GPU and experiencing random crashes during the gameplay, your DLSS setting may cause that issue. Turning ON/OFF DLSS may fix your problem in Darktide.
If you have an NVIDIA RTX 4090 or 4080 graphics card, I suggest you turn on Nvidia DLSS and Frame Generation under the performance section in the Video settings.