Some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty Warzone 2.0 players get the Unsupported Operating System error when they are trying to launch the game on PC. The error message says: "Your operating system Windows 7/8/10/11 is not supported by Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II. We recommend upgrading to Windows 10 version 1909 or newer."
#1) If you are a Windows 10 or Windows 11 user, but the error message says you are using Windows 8 or Windows 7, you should ensure COD MW2 is not running in Windows 7/8 compatibility mode. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II's installation folder.
Steam: Library > Right-click Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II > Manage > Browse local files
Battle.net: Games > select Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II > Options > Show in Explorer
- Right-click on the cod.exe application.
- Select Properties
- Then access the Compatibility tab.
- To turn off compatibility mode, uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box.
- Now hit the OK button.
If the issue persists, you should disable compatibility mode for Steam/Battle.net too. Don't forget to exit Steam and Battle.net first.
Steam default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe
Battle.net default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe
#2) If you are a Windows 10/11 user and encounter the Unsupported Operating System error, you should upgrade your OS to the latest version available. To update Windows 10:
- Open the Start menu.
- Click the cogwheel to open the Settings menu.
- Go to Update & Security > Windows Update
- Hit the Check for updates button.
To update Windows 11:
- Navigate to Settings > Windows Update
- Click on the Check for updates button.
I hope this guide helps you. Please share your experience by leaving a comment below.