This guide will show some solutions to fix Football Manager 2022 not starting, crashing, freezing, stuck on the black loading screen.
Follow the steps in this guide on how to fix your issues:
1. Verify the game files
You might face some issues if Football Manager 2022's files are missing or corrupted. So you should verify/repair your game files.
You can repair Football Manager 2022 on your PC (Steam, Epic Games Store, Microsoft Store/Game Pass). If you have no idea how to do this, this guide will help you.
2. Update graphics drivers
I recommend performing a clean install of the GPU driver. Uninstall graphics drivers with DDU and clean install the latest driver.
For latest drivers:
- Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
- Amd: https://www.amd.com/en/support
- Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics
3. Clear cache and reinstall the game
If you have installed mod packs, then FM22 freezes while changing the menu or while on the loading screen, this method will probably work for you.
- Go to C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022
- Delete Preferences and Cache folders. Don't worry, these are not save files.
- Then, go to C:\Users\%UserName%\Documents\Sports Interactive\
- Rename the "Football Manager 2022" folder to Football Manager 2022 old
- Then, reinstall Football Manager 2022. If possible, install it on a different local disk this time. For example, you can install it on D instead of C.
- Your save files are in the "games" folder in the "Football Manager 2022 old" folder. If the problem is solved after reinstalling, you can move them to the new Football Manager 2022 folder.
Also, this method (without reinstalling) can fix the memory error. "Football Manager 2022 is running dangerously low on memory. Please quit and free up some memory."
4. Dependency MFREADWRITE.DLL is missing
If you are a Windows N user and getting the "Dependency MFREADWRITE.DLL is missing" error, you must install the "Media Feature Pack".
Media Feature Pack list for Windows N editions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions-c1c6fffa-d052-8338-7a79-a4bb980a700a
5. Turn off your VPN
VPN may cause Football Manager 2022 to not launch or crash. So you need to disable your VPN application.
6. Configure switchable graphics on laptop
In rare cases, some laptops will try to use the wrong graphics chipset for Football Manager 2022. To fix it, follow these steps:
- Right-click on blank area on your desktop.
- Select Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings
- Click "Add" button
- Select Football Manager 2022 (fm.exe)
- Find the "Preferred graphics processor for this program" under the "Specify the settings for this program" section
- Switch it to your primary GPU
Note: Default location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2022\fm.exe"
AMD users can access the detailed guide at the following link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017
7. Check the dll errors
Missing dll files may be the reason why FM 2022 does not start. To check this, follow these steps:
- Go to the folder where Football Manager 2022 is installed.
- Right-click on fm.exe
- Select Run as administrator
- If you are getting a missing dll error, this guide will help you.