Have you been encountering problems while playing Lords of the Fallen, like the game crashing unexpectedly, not launching at all, or getting a fatal error message? Don't worry, we understand how frustrating it can be and we are here to help you resolve these issues.
We have compiled a list of easy and practical solutions that you can try to get your gaming experience back on track. With our step-by-step guide, you'll be able to troubleshoot and fix any problems that you may be facing with Lords of the Fallen.
How to Fix Crashing, Not Launching Issues, and Fatal Error in Lords of the Fallen
It's important to address the common problems that players face while trying to enjoy the epic world of Lords of the Fallen. These issues can be extremely frustrating, but with the right fixes, you can get back to gaming in no time. In this article, we will briefly discuss the problems and provide detailed step-by-step solutions to help you overcome them.
1. Repair Game Files
If you're playing Lords of the Fallen on Steam and experiencing issues like crashing, not launching, or fatal errors, you can try verifying the game files. Here's how:
Step 1: Open your Steam client and ensure you're logged in.
Step 2: Go to your game library by clicking on "Library" at the top of the client.
Step 3: Locate "Lords of the Fallen" in your game library and right-click on it.
Step 4: In the context menu, select "Properties"
Step 5: In the "Properties" window, navigate to the "Installed Files" tab.
Step 6: Click on "Verify Integrity of Game Files".
Steam will then proceed to check and repair any corrupted or missing game files. This can often resolve issues related to crashing and other in-game problems.
Epic Games Launcher Users:
If you're playing Lords of the Fallen on the Epic Games Launcher and facing the same issues, here's how to verify your game files:
Step 1: Launch the Epic Games Launcher and make sure you're signed in.
Step 2: In your library, find "Lords of the Fallen".
Step 3: Click the three dots (ellipsis) next to the game's title.
Step 4: From the drop-down menu select "Manage", then choose "Verify"
Epic Games Launcher will then proceed to verify and repair any corrupted or missing game files. This process can often resolve issues that are causing the game to crash or not launch properly.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
Updating your graphics drivers is crucial for ensuring a smooth gaming experience in Lords of the Fallen. Whether you have an NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel graphics card, here's a detailed guide on how to update your drivers, along with download links for each:
NVIDIA Graphics Drivers
Step 1: Visit the official NVIDIA driver download page: NVIDIA Driver Download
Step 2: Use the dropdown menus to specify your graphics card's model, operating system, and preferred language.
Step 3: Then, click "Search".
Step 4: Click the "Download" button to get the latest driver.
Step 5: Once the download is complete, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 6: Restart your computer after the installation is finished.
Updating your NVIDIA graphics drivers with the latest version can significantly improve game performance and help resolve any compatibility issues.
AMD Graphics Drivers
Step 1: Visit the official AMD driver download page: AMD Driver Download
Step 2: Select your graphics card family, model, and operating system.
Step 3: Click the "Submit" button.
Step 4: Download the recommended driver by clicking on it.
Step 5: Run the installer and follow the installation instructions.
Step 6: After installation, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Keeping your AMD graphics drivers up to date is essential for optimized gameplay and solving compatibility problems in Lords of the Fallen.
Intel Graphics Drivers
Step 1: Go to the official Intel driver download page: Intel Driver Download
Step 2: Click on the "Download Now" button to download the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.
Step 3: Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.
Step 4: Open the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and let it detect and recommend driver updates for your Intel graphics.
Step 5: Download and install the recommended driver updates.
Step 6: Restart your PC to apply the changes.
By following these steps and keeping your graphics drivers up to date, you can help ensure that your gaming experience in Lords of the Fallen is smooth and free of crashing or not launching issues and Fatal errors.
3. Update Windows
- Press the Windows key and type "Windows Update".
- Click on "Check for updates".
- Download and install any pending updates.
Outdated operating systems can cause compatibility issues, so keep your Windows up to date.
4. Ensure Your GPU Supports DirectX 12
If you're encountering the "DX12 is not supported on your system" error when trying to launch Lords of the Fallen, it's essential to confirm that your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is indeed compatible with DirectX 12. DirectX 12 is a graphics API that offers advanced rendering capabilities, but not all GPUs support it. To verify your GPU's compatibility, you can use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag). Here's how:
- Press Win + R to open the "Run" dialog.
- Type "dxdiag" and press Enter. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will open, providing you with detailed information about your system's DirectX compatibility.
- In the "System" tab, under "System Information", look for "DirectX Version" and ensure that DirectX 12 is enabled.
- Additionally, while using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag), it's important to check the "Feature Levels" on the "Display 1" tab. Ensure that it displays either "12_1" or "12_0". However, even if you see "12_0," please be aware that it may not be sufficient to run Lords of the Fallen smoothly.
"Feature Levels" represent different levels of DirectX support, and while "12_0" technically supports DirectX 12, it may lack some of the advanced features and optimizations present in "12_1." In some cases, the game may require these advanced features to run without issues.
So, even if your GPU supports DirectX 12, make sure that it's the "12_1" version for the best compatibility with Lords of the Fallen. If your GPU only supports "12_0," you may still encounter performance or compatibility issues. In such cases, you might want to consider a GPU upgrade to fully enjoy the game and ensure a smooth gaming experience.
Your GPU should support DirectX 12 if it's listed in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. If your GPU is indeed DirectX 12 compatible, you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps to resolve the "DX12 is not supported on your system" error in Lords of the Fallen. However, if your GPU doesn't support DirectX 12, this may be the root cause of the error, and upgrading your GPU may be necessary for a smoother gaming experience.
5. Run as Administrator
- First, right-click on the Lords of Fallen's executable file (LOTF2.exe).
To find the LOTF2.exe on Steam: Library > Right-click Lords of Fallen > Manage > Browse local files
- Then, select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab.
- After that, select "Run this program as an administrator".
Running the game with administrator privileges can resolve many launch and crash problems.
Note: Additionally, you can also try running the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode. This might help resolve compatibility issues and improve the game's performance.
6. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations and Change High DPI Scaling
Step 1: Right-click on the game's executable file (LOTF2.exe).
Step 2: Next, choose "Properties"
Step 3: In the "Compatibility" tab, check "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
Step 4: After that, click "Change high DPI settings".
Step 5: Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "System (Enhanced)" from the dropdown.
By taking this precaution, players can avoid potential problems when playing Lords of the Fallen in fullscreen mode, which may result in crashing or not launching.
7. Install Visual C++ Redistributables
- Download the Visual C++ Redistributables (X86 and X64) from the official Microsoft website.
- Install the downloaded redistributable package.
Many video games rely on certain redistributables to function properly, such as Visual C++ Redistributable Packages, DirectX, and .NET Framework. Without these redistributables installed on your system, you may encounter errors or have trouble launching the game altogether. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you have the necessary redistributables installed on your computer in order to enjoy a smooth gaming experience.
8. Disable Efficiency Cores (E-cores)
For users with 12th and 13th generation Intel CPUs who are experiencing fatal errors or crashes when running Lords of the Fallen, a potential solution is to disable the Efficiency Cores (E-cores). These E-cores are a new feature in these generations of Intel processors designed to improve power efficiency and performance, but they might not be fully compatible with all games, leading to stability issues.
Here's how you can disable E-cores to resolve the problem:
- Access your system's BIOS/UEFI settings. You can usually do this by pressing a specific key during the boot process, typically indicated on the screen as you start your computer. Common keys include F2, Delete, or F12, but it may vary depending on your motherboard manufacturer.
- Once in the BIOS/UEFI settings, navigate to the CPU or Performance settings. The exact location and naming of this option may differ depending on your motherboard.
- Look for an option related to E-cores or Efficiency Cores. This option may be labeled differently, such as "EIST" (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) or something similar.
- Disable the E-cores or related setting. Save your changes and exit the BIOS/UEFI settings. This usually involves pressing F10 or selecting the option to save and exit.
- Reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Please note that modifying BIOS/UEFI settings can have an impact on your system's power efficiency, so be aware of any potential trade-offs.
9. Close Background Applications
Closing unnecessary background applications is crucial to prevent potential conflicts with Easy Anti-Cheat and to resolve issues like crashing, Fatal Errors, or the game not launching in Lords of the Fallen. Easy Anti-Cheat is a system designed to ensure fair play in online games and can block certain background applications, causing disruptions.
It's important to note that applications like RivaTuner (RTSS) and MSI Afterburner, known for monitoring and overclocking, may cause compatibility issues. Here's a more detailed guide on how to do it:
Step 1: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to open the Task Manager. Alternatively, you can right-click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager".
Step 2: In the Task Manager, you'll see a list of running processes and applications.
Step 3: Examine the list and identify any unnecessary applications that are running in the background. These can include software for chat, music players, video editors, or other non-essential programs.
Step 4: Pay special attention to applications like RivaTuner (RTSS) and MSI Afterburner, as they can often cause compatibility issues with games. If you have these running, it's recommended to close them before launching Lords of the Fallen.
Step 5: Select an application you want to close and click on "End Task". Repeat this process for each unnecessary application.
Step 6: Make sure not to end critical system processes, as this can lead to system instability. Stick to non-essential applications.
10. Lower Graphics Settings
If you're experiencing crashing, not launching, or fatal error issues in Lords of the Fallen, adjusting your graphics settings can make a significant difference in improving the game's performance. Here's how you can do it:
- Window Mode and FSR:
- Access the in-game graphics settings by navigating to "Settings" and then "Display".
- Experiment with the "Window mode" settings. Switching to Windowed Fullscreen or Fullscreen mode can sometimes resolve issues.
- Consider adjusting the "AMD FSR" (FidelityFX Super Resolution) settings if your hardware supports it. Enabling or disabling FSR can have a noticeable impact on performance and visual quality.
- Shadows in games can be resource-intensive. Lower the shadow quality or disable shadows entirely for better performance. You can usually find this option in the graphics settings.
- Texture Quality:
- Texture quality settings can also affect performance. Lowering the texture quality can reduce the strain on your GPU. Experiment with different texture quality settings to find the right balance between performance and visuals.
Remember, the ideal settings may vary based on your hardware configuration. It's essential to find a balance between visual quality and performance that works best for your specific system. By making these adjustments, you can potentially resolve issues related to crashing and not launching in Lords of the Fallen while maintaining an enjoyable gaming experience.
To Sum It Up
Lords of the Fallen crashing, not launching, and fatal error issues can be frustrating, but by following these steps, you can get back to your epic gaming adventures without any problems. Remember to always keep your system and drivers up to date, and your gaming experience will undoubtedly be more enjoyable.