Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is a hack and slash, action RPG game. The full version of the game was released on February 13. Wolcen Lords of Mayhem is very popular right now, but the bugs and some problems in the game make players upset from time to time. Getting low FPS is one of the problems.
In Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, if anyone else out there who is experiencing issues about game performance, here are some tips & tweaks that may solve your issue. The issues such as: stuttering, fps drop, freezing, low fps, lagging.
There are 17 ways to increase your frame rates in Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem.
System Requirements for Running Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|CPU||Intel Core i5-4570T 2.9 GHz / AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz||Intel Core i7-4770S 3.1 GHz / AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz|
|GPU||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti / AMD Radeon HD 6850||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 570|
|DirectX||DirectX 11||DirectX 11|
|RAM||8 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Storage||18 GB available space||18 GB available space|
|OS||Windows 7 64-Bit SP1, Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Windows 10 64-Bit||Windows 7 64-Bit SP1, Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Windows 10 64-Bit|
1) Best Graphics Settings for Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
You can skip this step if you don’t want to change graphics settings. These High Performance graphics settings are for PCs which close to the minimum system requirements.
If you have a good PC, you can increase the settings slightly.
Go to in-game graphics settings and make sure the settings are as follows.
Settings > Graphics Settings
|Volumetric effects quality||Low||Low|
In fact, the best settings depend on PC specs. The reason I share these settings is because I want you to have an idea of what to reduce and what to increase. You can find the best graphics settings by testing.
When the settings are completed, Apply changes and exit the game.
2) Update Your Graphics Drivers
You should keep your computer’s graphics drivers updated.
People who have an NVIDIA graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
People who have an AMD graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
3) NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to the Adjust image settings with preview tab.
- Click the “Use my preference emphasizing“ (If you have a mid&high end pc, Let the 3D application decide)
- Put the bar in Performance mode.
- Click the Manage 3D settings
- Click the Program Settings
- Click the Add
- Select the Wolcen from the list, then click on the “Add Selected Program” button.
- After, make the following settings
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Vertical sync: Off
- If you have a notebook, make sure you have selected the “High-performance NVIDIA processor” on preferred graphics processor.
- Apply and close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
Effect of the “Power management mode” setting differs between GPUs. If these settings made your FPS worse, just set the “Power management mode” to “Optimal power“. After that, it will increase. You can test it.
4) AMD Radeon Settings
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings window.
- Click on the Gaming tab.
- Then click on Global Settings.
- Click on the Texture Filtering Quality and select the Performance.
5) Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
The “Intelligent standby list cleaner” application will monitor and clear the memory standby list when it is > 1000mb (1gb). It will help players to fix stutters in games.
- Download the Intelligent standby list cleaner
- Run the 7-zip file.
- Extract to a folder.
- Go to the that folder.
- Run the “Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC” application.
- Check the “Start ISLC minimized and auto-Start monitoring”
- Also, check the “Launch ISLC on user logon”
- Now, click on the Start button
6) Full-screen Optimizations & High DPI in Windows 10
- Go to the folder where the game is installed.
(Steam Library > Right-click on Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem > Properties > LOCAL FILES > BROWSE LOCAL FILES)
- Open the win_x64 folder
- Right-click on the Wolcen.exe in the win_x64 folder
- Hit the Properties
- Tick “Disable full-screen optimizations” on the Compatibility tab.
- After that, click on the “Change high DPI settings” button.
- Under the “High DPI scaling override” section, tick the “Override high DPI scaling behavior“
- Use the “Scaling performed by:” drop-down menu and select the “Application”
- Click on the OK and again OK.
7) Power Options
If the CPU cooler is not enough, you can skip this setting. Processor temperature may increase by 5-6 degrees.
- Right-click the Windows icon on the bottom left.
- Click the Power Options
- Click the Additional power settings
- Select the High performance on the Preferred plans tab.
- After, click the Change plan settings link next to High performance.
- Tap on the Change advanced power settings
- Find Processor power management in the incoming list, click the + icon on the left side.
- Set Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 100%
- Click on the OK
8) Game Mode
- To turn off Windows 10 game mode, click the Start icon to bring up the Start menu. Then open the Settings.
- Click the Gaming
- On the Game Bar tab, set the “Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar” to Off.
- On the Captures tab, set the “Record in the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- On the Game Mode tab, set the “Game Mode” to Off.
If you are using an older version of Windows 10, you may not see the Game Mode settings. In this case, you can configure the settings directly in the Registry.
- Press the Windows logo key and R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Type regedit
- Press the Enter key.
- The Registry Editor will open. In the left panel, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar
- Right-click inside the panel and select New
- Click on the DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Rename the New Key to AllowAutoGameMode
- Right-click on the AllowAutoGameMode
- Select the Modify…
- Set the “Value data” to 0
- Click on the OK button.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your PC.
9) Windows Performance Options
- Type performance in the search section of Windows, click to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows from the results.
- Select the Adjust for best performance from the options in the Performance Options window that opens.
- Click OK
10) Cleaning Temporary Files
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type %temp%
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Temp folder that opens. You can skip undeleted.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type temp
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the folder that opens.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type prefetch
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Prefetch folder that opens.
Finally, empty the Recycle Bin
If you have a Solid-State Drive, I recommend that you install the game on the SSD or move the game files to the SSD.
12) Optimize Your Discord
If you are using Discord, disable the Hardware Acceleration and in-game overlay.
- Open Discord
- Go to the User Settings
- Then, go to the Appearance tab.
- Uncheck the Hardware Acceleration.
- Go to the Overlay on App Settings tab.
- Make sure unchecked the “Enable in-game overlay”
13) Optimize Your Google Chrome
If you’re using Google Chrome, you’ll need to make this setting.
- Go to settings page in Chrome
- Click the Advanced
- Go to the System tab
- Finally, uncheck the “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed”
14) Background Processes
You should close all unnecessary applications, such as Chrome, Spotify, OneDrive. Also, if the Discord is idle, you should quit Discord.
Also, you can use the CCleaner to go through your startup and scheduled tasks, and disable everything that you consider unnecessary.
15) CPU Core Unparking – Reducing Stutter
Quick CPU (CPU core parking manager) is a program that stops windows from limiting your CPU power. Unparking cores of CPU allows games to have full access to your processor.
I’ve never heard of this program causing any problems. Nevertheless, you have all the responsibility!
- Download the Quick CPU
- Unzip and install it (x64 folder)
- Run the Quick CPU
- Set “System power plan” to High performance (or Ultimate)
- Set “Core parking index” to 100%
- Set “Turbo boost index” to 100%
- Set “Frequency scaling index” to 100%
16) Increase The Priority
You need to adjust this setting every time you enter the game.
- Launch the game.
- Simultaneously press the ALT and TAB keys to minimize the game.
- Open the Task Manager
- Click on Details Tab
- In the list, find the Wolcen.exe
- Right-click on Wolcen.exe application and Set priority to High.
If you facing stuttering issue in the game after doing this, don’t do the High priority setting. Set it to Normal.
17) CPU Limiter – Fix Freezing & Stuttering
If the CPU usage is around 100% while playing Wolcen Lords of Mayhem and you experience freezing/stuttering issues, you can limit your CPU. Also, if you apply this setting, you can skip the previous method.
- Download and install the Process Lasso
- Run the Process Lasso application.
- Launch Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem.
- Go to the Process Lasso app and find the Wolcen.exe in “All processes” list.
- Right-click on the Wolcen.exe and select the CPU Limiter
- Set the “When CPU use is” to 98
- Set the “Reduce by this many CPU cores” to 1
- Below the “Reduce by this many CPU cores”, set the “For a period of” to 1
- Click on the Add Rule button.
- Finally click OK button and play the game.
Hope these tweaks boost your FPS in Wolcen Lords of Mayhem. Let me known if you have issues or something. Don't forget to share your PC specs.