When you're excited to jump into the action-packed world of Payday 3, the last thing you want to encounter are issues like crashing, not launching, or a mysterious black screen.
Whether you're a long-time fan of the series or a newcomer eager to pull off high-stakes heists, these technical glitches can be a real downer.
Fortunately, we've compiled a comprehensive guide to tackle these issues head-on. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions to help get your game running smoothly.
Troubleshooting Crashing, Not Launching, Black Screen Issues in Payday 3
In the much-anticipated Payday 3, some players are experiencing problems such as crashes, the game not launching, or freezing on a black screen.
These issues are frustrating, to say the least, but certainly not insurmountable. In fact, there are multiple proven methods to troubleshoot these inconveniences.
In any case, detailed step-by-step solutions for each issue are outlined below.
1. Verify Game Files
Payday 3 game files can sometimes become corrupt or missing, which leads to problems like crashing, not launching, or even the dreaded black screen.
Therefore, it's crucial to verify your game files, and the process varies depending on which platform you're using.
Below are the detailed steps for Steam, Epic Games Launcher, and Microsoft Store (PC Game Pass) users.
- Launch the Steam client on your PC.
- Head to your game library.
- Locate Payday 3 in your list of games, right-click it, and select Properties.
- Go to the Installed Files tab and click "Verify Integrity of Game Files."
For Steam users, this is the go-to method for resolving a multitude of issues. It ensures that all the files required for the game to run properly are intact.
Epic Games Launcher Users:
- Start the Epic Games Launcher on your computer.
- Click on the Library tab on the left sidebar.
- Locate Payday 3 within your list of games.
- Click on the three dots (...) beside Payday 3 and select Manage from the dropdown.
- Then click on the Verify button.
In the case of Epic Games, the process is somewhat similar to that of Steam and equally effective for ensuring your game files are in proper order.
Microsoft Store (PC Game Pass) Users:
- Start the Xbox application on your PC.
- Then go to the "My Library" menu.
- Select Payday 3 and then click on the three dots (...)
- Next, select Manage.
- Open the FILES tab.
- Then click on VERIFY AND REPAIR.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
- Open Device Manager: You can do this by pressing Windows + X and selecting Device Manager.
- Update Graphics Card: Expand the Display adapters section, right-click your graphics card and choose Update driver.
Outdated or corrupt graphics drivers can be a leading cause of issues such as crashing or the game not launching. Therefore, it's essential to keep your graphics drivers up to date. Depending on your graphics card—whether it's NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel—here's how you can update your drivers.
For NVIDIA Users:
- Go to NVIDIA's Driver Download Page: NVIDIA Driver
- Select Your Product: Fill in the necessary details about your graphics card and operating system.
- Download and Install: Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the latest drivers.
For AMD Users:
- Visit AMD's Support Page: AMD Driver
- Find Your Product: Use the tool to identify your AMD graphics card or manually select your product.
- Download and Install: Download the latest driver and follow the on-screen prompts to install it.
For Intel Users:
- Navigate to Intel's Download Center: Intel Driver
- Search for Graphics Drivers: Use the search bar to look for the latest graphics drivers for your Intel product.
- Download and Install: Follow the instructions to download and install the driver.
NOTE: Before installing a new driver, it may be wise to completely remove the existing driver using a tool like DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). The reason for this is that simply updating your driver might not erase older or conflicting files, leading to instability or performance issues. DDU ensures that you're starting with a clean slate, eliminating any conflicts that might arise from leftover files.
Updating your graphics drivers can provide not just stability but also performance enhancements for your games. Make it a point to regularly check for the latest updates, especially if you're experiencing issues like crashing or a black screen while playing Payday 3.
3. Update Windows
- Press Windows + I to open settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Click the Check for updates button.
Windows updates often include crucial patches that enhance system stability. Therefore, keeping your operating system updated can potentially solve problems like Payday 3 not launching.
4. Install Visual C++ Redistributables
Often overlooked but extremely essential for running many games and applications, Visual C++ Redistributables can be the missing link when it comes to resolving issues like Payday 3 crashing or not launching. These software packages include runtime components that are required to run C++ applications built with Visual Studio.
Option 1: Official Microsoft Download
Head over to Microsoft's Official Site for Visual C++ Redistributables and download X64 and X86 files under the "Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022" section. Then install them.
Option 2: Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One Tool
For a more comprehensive approach, consider using the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One tool. This tool packages all the Visual C++ Redistributables into a single installer, making the process easier and more streamlined.
- Before installing new files, ensure you have uninstalled all existing Visual C++ Redistributables from your system.
- Go to TechPowerUp's download page and download the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One package.
- Once downloaded, unzip the file to a folder.
- Right-click on the install_all.bat file and select "Run as administrator".
Either of these methods will install the necessary Visual C++ Redistributables on your system, thereby potentially resolving any related issues you might have while trying to play Payday 3.
5. Close Background Applications
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Look for unnecessary applications running in the background and click End Task.
Surprisingly, background applications can sometimes interfere with your game, causing it to crash or not launch. Therefore, closing these apps can be a simple yet effective fix. Alternatively, you can perform a clean boot.
6. Reinstall the Game
As a last resort, reinstalling the game can fix stubborn issues that other methods couldn't solve. Obviously, this is a time-consuming process, but sometimes it’s the only way to get the game running properly.
Crashing, black screen, and the game won't launch issues can be extremely vexing, especially for a game as engrossing as Payday 3.
However, these problems are usually not insurmountable. By following this guide, you'll equip yourself with the tools needed to dive back into the world of high-stakes heists. In any case, happy heisting!