Hello, brave survivors! Today, we're diving deep into the ominous world of The Outlast Trials by Red Barrels. Whether you're braving the horrors of Murkoff's Sinyala Facility alone or with friends, you definitely need your game running as smooth as possible to ensure you don't miss a single heart-stopping moment. Therefore, we'll be addressing a common issue in games: frame rate stuttering. Unquestionably, capping your FPS (Frames Per Second) in The Outlast Trials can make a significant difference, enhancing your gameplay experience immensely. So, without further ado, let's dive right into it!
Why You Need to Cap FPS in The Outlast Trials
Before we proceed to the solution, it's essential to understand why this step is crucial. While The Outlast Trials is a brilliantly designed game, some players might experience performance issues such as frame rate drops or stuttering.
These issues can interfere with the overall gaming experience. By applying the FPS cap, we can bring about a steadier performance in The Outlast Trials, therefore reducing or entirely eliminating these problems. So, let's get started!
Making the AppData Folder Visible for Those Who Can't See It
Before we start modifying game files, some of you might find that the AppData folder is not visible. This is because it is a hidden folder in Windows. But worry not! We've got you covered. Here's how you can make it visible:
- Open File Explorer. You can do this by pressing Win + E or by clicking on the folder icon on your taskbar.
- Click on 'View' on the top menu. In the 'View' tab, look for the 'Show/hide' panel.
- Tick the 'Hidden items' checkbox. By ticking this box, you'll make all hidden files and folders visible, including
Remember, the AppData folder is hidden for a reason. So, once you've made your adjustments to the game's config file, it's always a good idea to hide your system's hidden files and folders again. You can do this by simply unticking the 'Hidden items' checkbox.
Navigating to the Game's Configuration File
Your journey begins with finding the right config file that controls your game's settings. To do this:
- Open your file browser. Copy the following path and paste it into the top bar of your file browser: C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\OPP\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\
- Look for the GameUserSettings.ini file. This file holds all the user settings data for your game. Right-click on it, and then select Edit.
Editing the Config File to Limit FPS
With the configuration file open, it's time to make our desired adjustments. Here's how to proceed:
- Locate the line that says FrameRateLimit=0. This line controls the game's FPS limit.
- Change the 0 to your desired frame rate limit. This number signifies the maximum FPS your game can run. For instance, you can set it to 60 for a standard monitor or 144 if you have a higher-end gaming monitor. Most importantly, select a number that your PC can comfortably handle without overheating or causing other problems.
- Save the changes. After entering your desired number, save the file and close it.
- Set the file to read-only. This last step is crucial. To prevent the game from automatically resetting your settings, you must set the .ini file to read-only. To do this, right-click on the file, select Properties, and tick the Read-only checkbox.
Concluding The Outlast Trials Stutter Fix Guide
By now, you've successfully capped your FPS and hopefully put an end to any stuttering issues! With smoother gameplay, you'll be more than ready to face the terrifying trials Murkoff Corporation has in store for you. Remember, every time you wish to change the FPS limit, you'll need to untick the Read-only checkbox, make your edits, save, and then set the file back to Read-only.
Remember to tread lightly, brave survivors, for in the world of The Outlast Trials, every second counts!
Additionally, for those of you looking to further improve your performance in The Outlast Trials and boost your FPS, don't forget to check out our comprehensive guide at Boost PC Performance for Gaming. There, you'll find a plethora of tips and tricks that will undeniably help you get the most out of your gaming experience.