Are you tired of encountering black screens or freezes when launching Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty? Don't let Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty launch or crash problems get in the way of your gaming experience.
With the help of this guide, you can get the game running smoothly and enjoy the thrilling action-packed story without interruption. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can troubleshoot and resolve the most common issues that players have encountered.
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty keeps crashing during gameplay or at launch
- The game freezes on a black screen at the startup.
- Getting a black screen on cutscenes.
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty crashes on the cutscene after character creation.
Troubleshooting Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Crashing Issues on PC
There can be several reasons for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty not launching, crashing, or showing a black screen on PC. The most common causes are outdated graphics drivers, missing game files, incompatibility with the operating system, and insufficient hardware specifications.
Additionally, some antivirus software and Windows Security can cause the game to malfunction. In some cases, the game may fail to use the dedicated GPU, which can result in poor performance and crashes.
Understanding the potential causes of these issues can help in troubleshooting and fixing the game to run smoothly. Before we proceed to the troubleshooting methods, it is important to check if your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.
Minimum System Requirements
The minimum requirements to play Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty on PC are as follows:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 4GB, Radeon RX 570 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Memory: 8 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 60 GB available space
Sound Card: 16-bit stereo, 48kHz WAVE file can be played
OS: Windows 10, Windows 11, 64bit
If your PC meets the minimum requirements, but you are still experiencing issues, proceed with the following troubleshooting methods:
1. Repair Game Files
The first thing to do is to repair the game files. This will fix any corrupted game files that may be causing the game to crash or not launch. Follow these steps to repair game files on Steam:
- Open the Steam client and navigate to your game library
- Right-click on Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty and select "Properties"
- Click on the "Local Files" tab and select "Verify integrity of game files"
- Wait for the process to complete, and then launch the game again.
Here are the steps to verify and repair the game files on PC Game Pass or Microsoft Store:
- Open the Xbox app on your Windows 10 or 11 PC.
- Navigate to the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty game page in the app.
- Click the "..." icon on the right side of the page.
- Select "Manage" from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the "Files" tab.
- Click the "Verify and Repair" button to check the integrity of the game files.
- Wait for the verification and repair process to complete.
- Launch the game and see if the issue has been resolved.
2. Update Graphics Driver
If you're experiencing crashing or launch issues with Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, it could be due to an outdated graphics driver on your PC. This game requires the latest graphics driver to run properly, so it's important to update your GPU driver to avoid these issues.
Luckily, you can easily find the latest drivers for NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel GPUs on their official websites. Simply visit the following links to download and install the latest graphics driver for your system:
- NVIDIA: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support
- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
Updating your graphics driver can be a simple yet effective solution to fix the crashing and launching issues in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.
3. Update Windows
Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date. Here's how to check for updates:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings menu.
- Click on "Update & Security"
- Click on "Check for updates"
- If there are updates available, download and install them
- Restart your PC and launch the game again.
4. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
It's important to note that running too many processes in the background can lead to a higher usage of system resources, which can cause performance issues. To improve system performance and reduce the in-game lag, frame rate drops, stutters, and crashing issues, it's advisable to close all unnecessary background tasks. This can be achieved by following the steps below.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager
- Click on the "Processes" tab
- Identify any unnecessary processes and click on "End task"
- Launch the game again.
Note: Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty players reported that MSI Afterburner and RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server) prevented the game from launching and caused crashes.
5. Run in Administrator Mode
Running Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty in administrator mode can help fix issues with the game not launching or crashing. Follow these steps to run the game in administrator mode:
- Right-click on the game's icon and select "Properties"
- Click on the "Compatibility" tab
- Then check the box next to "Run this program as an administrator"
- Click "Apply" and then "OK"
- After that, play the game.
6. Disable Overlays
It's common to have various applications installed on your computer that run in the background. These applications can be essential for your system's performance, but they can also consume valuable system resources.
It's important to keep in mind that the more resources an application uses, the more it can affect your system's overall performance. In some cases, this can lead to issues like lag, stuttering, and framerate drops, which can negatively impact your gaming experience.
While these overlays can be useful for providing quick access to certain features or information, they can sometimes cause problems with certain games. For example, if you're experiencing Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty crashing issues, an overlay from another application may be interfering with the game's operation.
To address this problem, you can disable overlays for popular applications that you may have installed on your PC. By doing so, you can help ensure that your system resources are being used efficiently and that your games are running as smoothly as possible. To disable overlays, open the overlay program and look for an option to turn it off.
Disabling Steam Overlay:
- Open Steam
- Go to Settings
- Click on In-Game
- Uncheck "Enable Steam Overlay while in-game"
Disabling NVIDIA Overlay:
- Launch the NVIDIA GeForce Experience
- Go to Settings
- Click on General
- Switch off the "In-Game Overlay"
Disabling Discord Overlay:
- Open Discord
- Go to User Settings
- Click on Game Overlay
- Toggle the "Enable in-game overlay" option off
Disabling Xbox Game Bar:
- Go to Windows Settings
- Click Gaming
- Select Xbox Game Bar
- Then turn off the Xbox Game Bar
7. Add an Exclusion to Windows Security or Antivirus
Your antivirus or Windows Security software may be incorrectly flagging the game files as a security threat, leading to crashes or other issues. To add an exclusion in Windows Security, follow these steps:
- Type Windows Security into the Windows search bar and open it.
- Click on "Virus & threat protection"
- Click on "Manage settings"
- Scroll down to "Exclusions" and click "Add or remove exclusions"
- Click "Add an exclusion" and select "Folder"
- Browse to the folder where Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is installed and select it
- Click "Open" to add the folder as an exclusion
8. Install Visual C++ Redistributables
If you are experiencing crashes while trying to play the game, it is possible that the Redistributables are not installed or need to be repaired. Here's how to ensure that the Visual C++ Redistributables are installed or repaired on your system.
- Go to the Microsoft Download Center and download the Visual C++ Redistributable packages: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist
- Make sure to download both the x64 and x86 versions for each year.
- Once the download completes, run the executable files and follow the on-screen instructions for each package. If a repair option is available, use it instead of the install option.
- After the repair or installation is complete, restart your PC to apply the changes.
9. Force the Game to Use Dedicated GPU
To avoid launching issues with Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, you need to make sure that the game uses your dedicated graphics card instead of the integrated one. This can be achieved by following the steps below:
For NVIDIA GPUs:
- Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Go to Manage 3D Settings.
- Under the Program Settings tab, select Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty or add it if it's not listed.
- Set the preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.
- Click Apply and close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
For AMD & NVIDIA on Windows 10/11:
- Go to Settings.
- Select System.
- Click on Display.
- Scroll down and click on Graphics settings.
- Click on Browse and select the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty executable file (WoLong.exe)
- Click on Options.
- Select High performance and click on Save.
By forcing the game to use your dedicated GPU, you can ensure that it runs smoothly and without any issues.
10. Install VP9 Video Extensions
Some Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty players have reported being unable to progress past character selection or getting stuck in the first cutscene. Others have experienced black screens during cutscenes, with only the subtitles showing, followed by a game crash. As far as I can see, only Game Pass users have these problems.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution to this issue. You need to download the VP9 Video Extensions. This extension will allow the game to properly decode the video content and prevent the crashing issue.
Here are the steps to download and install the VP9 Video Extensions on your Windows 10/11 PC:
- Open the Microsoft Store on your PC.
- Search for "VP9 Video Extensions" in the search bar.
- Click on the "Get" button to download and install the extension.
- Once the installation is complete, restart your PC.
- Launch Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty and try playing the game again.
By following these steps, you should be able to fix the crashing issue and enjoy the game without any further problems.
11. Lower Graphics Settings
If none of the above methods work, you can try lowering the graphics settings. This will reduce the load on your GPU and may help prevent crashes.
To change the settings, go to the in-game menu, select System, and then Graphics Settings. Here, you should lower the Texture Quality, Shadow Quality, Volumetric Fog Resolution, and Volumetric Cloud Quality. Also, disabling Ambient Occlusion and Vsync may help.
I hope this guide has been helpful in resolving the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty crashing, freezing, black screen, and not launching issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment below and I will do my best to assist you.