Ubisoft continues to add new contents and gameplay changes to The Division 2. With those changes and big discounts, the number of players in the game has increased, at least as far as I know. I joined this trend too. I’ve been playing The Division 2 recently. And, I tested the game’s graphics settings and prepared this FPS boost guide.
If you are experiencing performance issues in The Division 2 such as fps drop, stuttering, low fps, lagging, freezing, this guide will help to fix your problems. There are 16 ways to improve the performance in The Division 2.
System Requirements for Running The Division 2
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|CPU||AMD FX 6350, Intel i5-2500K||AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, Intel Core i7-4790|
|GPU||AMD R9 280X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 570 (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 6.0 or better)|
|DirectX||DirectX 11||DirectX 12|
|RAM||8 GB RAM||8 GB RAM|
|Storage||65 GB available space||65 GB available space|
|OS||Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)||Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)|
1) Best Graphics Settings for The Division 2
You can skip this step if you don’t want to change graphics settings. These High Performance graphics settings are for PCs which close to the minimum system requirements.
If you have a good PC, you can increase the settings slightly.
Go to in-game graphics settings and make sure the settings are as follows.
Settings > Graphics
|High Performance||Performance||My Settings|
|Spot Shadow Resolution||Low||Low||Low|
|Contact Shadows||Off||Off||Sun Low|
|Local Reflection Quality||Off||Off||Medium|
|Depth of Field||Off||Off||Off|
|Extra Streaming Distance||0||0||0|
|Projected Texture Resolution||128||512||512|
|High Resolution Sky Textures||No||No||No|
Settings > Video
|Enable Reduced Latency||No||No||Yes|
|Enable DX12 Renderer||No||No||No|
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: GTX 1070
Ram: 16 GB 1600MHz
OS: Windows 10
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
I get 62-89 Fps on 1440p, and 84-125 Fps on 1080p.
In The Division 2, the main settings that impact performance are Volumetric Fog, Shadow Quality, and Local Reflection Quality. I recommend keeping these settings as low as possible.
I tried DirectX 12 but didn’t get good performance. Some players said that DirectX 12 is better when it comes to performance. I tried it, and honestly I was not satisfied. I don’t know why. Maybe it works for you. And also, turning off the “Enable Reduced Latency” may increase your frames.
By the way, if you set the Resolution Scale to a lower value allows to increase your FPS but the graphics may be blurry in the game.
In fact, the best settings depend on PC specs. The reason I share these settings is because I want you to have an idea of what to reduce and what to increase. Lowering all settings sometimes does not work well. Your settings can cause the bottleneck (100% CPU usage). You can find the best graphics settings by test it out.
When the settings are completed, Apply changes and exit the game.
2) Update Your Graphics Drivers
You should keep your computer’s graphics drivers updated. Updating the drivers is a good idea for the best performance.
People who have an NVIDIA graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
People who have an AMD graphics card can download and install their new drivers here.
3) NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to the Adjust image settings with preview tab.
- Click the “Use my preference emphasizing“ (If you have a mid&high end pc, Let the 3D application decide)
- Put the bar in Performance mode.
- Click the Manage 3D settings
- Click the Program Settings
- Click the Add
- Select the Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 from the list, then click on the “Add Selected Program” button.
- After, make the following settings
Texture filtering – Anisotropic sample optimization: On
Texture filtering – Quality: Performance
Texture filtering – Trilinear optimization: On
Vertical sync: Off
- If you have a notebook, make sure you have selected the “High-performance NVIDIA processor” on preferred graphics processor.
- Apply and close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
4) AMD Radeon Settings
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings window.
- Click on the Gaming tab.
- Then click on Global Settings.
- Click on the Texture Filtering Quality and select the Performance.
5) Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
The “Intelligent standby list cleaner” application will monitor and clear the memory standby list when it is > 1000mb (1gb). It will help players to fix stutters in games.
- Download the Intelligent standby list cleaner
- Run the 7-zip file.
- Extract to a folder.
- Go to the that folder.
- Run the “Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC” application.
- Check the “Start ISLC minimized and auto-Start monitoring”
- Also, check the “Launch ISLC on user logon”
- Now, click on the Start button
6) Full-screen Optimizations & High DPI in Windows 10
- Go to the folder where the game is installed.
- Right-click on the TheDivision2.exe
- Hit the Properties
- Tick “Disable full-screen optimizations” on the Compatibility tab.
- After that, click on the “Change high DPI settings” button.
- Under the “High DPI scaling override” section, tick the “Override high DPI scaling behavior“
- Use the “Scaling performed by:” drop-down menu and select the “Application”
- Click on the OK and again OK.
7) Power Options
If the CPU cooler is not enough, you can skip this setting. Processor temperature may increase by 5-6 degrees.
- Right-click the Windows icon on the bottom left.
- Click the Power Options
- Click the Additional power settings
- Select the High performance on the Preferred plans tab.
- After, click the Change plan settings link next to High performance.
- Tap on the Change advanced power settings
- Find Processor power management in the incoming list, click the + icon on the left side.
- Set Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 100%
- Click on the OK
8) Game Mode
- To turn off Windows 10 game mode, click the Start icon to bring up the Start menu. Then open the Settings.
- Click the Gaming
- On the Game Bar tab, set the “Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar” to Off.
- On the Captures tab, set the “Record in the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- On the Game Mode tab, set the “Game Mode” to Off.
If you are using an older version of Windows 10, you may not see the Game Mode settings. In this case, you can configure the settings directly in the Registry.
- Press the Windows logo key and R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Type regedit
- Press the Enter key.
- The Registry Editor will open. In the left panel, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar
- Right-click inside the panel and select New
- Click on the DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Rename the New Key to AllowAutoGameMode
- Right-click on the AllowAutoGameMode
- Select the Modify…
- Set the “Value data” to 0
- Click on the OK button.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your PC.
9) Windows Performance Options
- Type performance in the search section of Windows, click to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows from the results.
- Select the Adjust for best performance from the options in the Performance Options window that opens.
- Click OK
10) Cleaning Temporary Files
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type %temp%
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Temp folder that opens. You can skip undeleted.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type temp
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the folder that opens.
- Again, Simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys.
- Type prefetch
- Press Enter key.
- Delete everything in the Prefetch folder that opens.
Finally, empty the Recycle Bin
If you have a Solid-State Drive, I recommend that you install the game on the SSD or move the game files to the SSD.
12) Optimize Your Discord
If you are using Discord, disable the Hardware Acceleration and in-game overlay.
- Open Discord
- Go to the User Settings
- Then, go to the Appearance tab.
- Uncheck the Hardware Acceleration.
- Go to the Overlay on App Settings tab.
- Make sure unchecked the “Enable in-game overlay”
13) Optimize Your Google Chrome
If you’re using Google Chrome, you’ll need to make this setting.
- Go to settings page in Chrome
- Click the Advanced
- Go to the System tab
- Finally, uncheck the “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed”
14) Background Processes
You should close all unnecessary applications, such as Chrome, Spotify, OneDrive. Also, if the Discord is idle, you should quit Discord.
Also, you can use the CCleaner to go through your startup and scheduled tasks, and disable everything that you consider unnecessary.
15) CPU Core Unparking – Reducing Stutter
Quick CPU (CPU core parking manager) is a program that stops windows from limiting your CPU power. Unparking cores of CPU allows games to have full access to your processor.
I’ve never heard of this program causing any problems. Nevertheless, you have all the responsibility!
- Download the Quick CPU
- Unzip and install it (x64 folder)
- Run the Quick CPU
- Set “System power plan” to High performance (or Ultimate)
- Set “Core parking index” to 100%
- Set “Turbo boost index” to 100%
- Set “Frequency scaling index” to 100%
16) Reduce Ping and Fix Lag
- Go to the ExitLag page
- Click on the “FREE 3 DAYS TRIAL” button.
- Create an account.
- Verify the Email
- Download and install the ExitLag.
- Launch the ExitLag.
- Search and select Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 in the ExitLag app.
- Select a game region
- Click on the APPLY ROUTES button.
- Play the game.
For example, if you live in the Americas and want to play on an Europe (EU) server, you will experience a lot of lag in the game because the ping will be too high. In this case, you can use the Exitlag. In the Exitlag, you can select a game region closest to the server you are joining.
Note: If, although all these settings, you have problems with crashing or stuttering, set the Frame Rate Limit to On and 60 in the graphics settings (Settings > Video). It might help.
Let me known if you have issues or something. Please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to share your PC specs.
Last Updated on 14 March, 2020 2:48 pm EDT