Welcome to your go-to guide on how to troubleshoot Railway Empire 2 when it crashes or won't launch. This groundbreaking railroad construction and management simulation game offers plenty of opportunities to don the entrepreneurial coat and build your own railroad empire.
Unfortunately, technical issues such as crashes and failing to launch can hinder this exciting journey. Not to worry though, as we have compiled a list of solutions to help you address these issues effectively. This article explores everything from verifying game files, updating your GPU drivers, to installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables and more.
Troubleshooting Railway Empire 2 Crashes, Won't Launch Issues
Sometimes, Railway Empire 2 can crash during a tutorial or at launch, so basically, the game won't launch due to a variety of reasons. The primary troubleshooting methods involve verifying game files, checking GPU drivers, updating your operating system, installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, and reinstalling the game.
Without a doubt, one of these methods will definitely put you back on track. Let's delve into each of these solutions in more detail.
Verifying Game Files
When the game keeps crashing, one of the first steps to take is to verify the integrity of Railway Empire 2 files. These steps differ slightly based on the game launcher you use.
- Open your Steam client and navigate to the Library.
- Then, right-click Railway Empire 2 and select Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab, then click Verify Integrity of Game Files. This process will check and replace any corrupted files in the game.
Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher, then click on Library.
- Locate Railway Empire 2 and click on the three dots next to the game title.
- Next, click Manage.
- Hit the Verify button. This will verify the game files and fix any issues found.
PC Game Pass (Microsoft Store):
- Open the Xbox app
- Then, right-click on Railway Empire 2 in the left bar.
- Select Manage.
- Next, go to the Files tab.
- Click on the "Verify and Repair" button.
Checking GPU Drivers
Keeping your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) drivers up to date is absolutely crucial when it comes to optimal game performance. GPU drivers act as a translator between your computer's hardware and software, making them essential for any graphics-intensive activities such as gaming.
When these drivers are outdated, it might lead to performance issues in Railway Empire 2, including crashes and failure to launch. Therefore, ensuring that your graphics drivers, whether NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel, are always updated will provide a smooth and glitch-free gaming experience.
I will provide you with the official download links. These links will direct you to the respective official sites where you can download the latest versions of your GPU drivers:
It is essential to keep your operating system updated. Here's how to update your Windows:
- Open Settings and go to Update & Security.
- Click on Check for updates. If any updates are available, they will download and install automatically.
Installing Visual C++ Redistributables
Sometimes, Railway Empire 2 crashes at launch (the game won't launch) because it needs certain files from the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables. Here's how you can install them:
- Visit the Microsoft official website.
- Download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables packages by clicking the X86 and X64 links.
- Run the installer and follow the instructions to complete the process.
Alternatively, you can use Techpowerup's 'Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One' tool, which conveniently installs all the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables in a straightforward manner.
Modifying Controlled Folder Access Settings
In some instances, your built-in Windows security measures might be preventing Railway Empire 2 from launching, particularly if you're experiencing an Internal Error message. One such security feature is the "Controlled Folder Access" within Windows Defender. Although its intention is to protect your system files from unauthorized alterations, it can occasionally restrict your gaming software unnecessarily.
Here's a more nuanced step-by-step guide to fine-tuning the Controlled Folder Access settings:
- Begin by clicking on the Start button, found at the lower-left corner of your desktop.
- From the Start menu, locate and select Settings. This is usually represented by a gear icon.
- Inside the Settings window, find Update & Security and select it.
- From the options presented on the left side, choose Windows Security.
- Now, you'll see a range of protection areas. Click on Virus & threat protection.
- Scroll down until you locate Virus & threat protection settings. Underneath this heading, select Manage settings.
- As you scroll down in the new window, you'll find Controlled folder access. Here, click on Manage Controlled folder access.
- You are now able to toggle the Controlled folder access setting. Switch it to Off.
After you've completed the aforementioned steps, give Railway Empire 2 another try. Should the game now launch without any hitches, you've found your solution! However, if you're still experiencing issues, we recommend returning the Controlled folder access settings back to On.
The key reason behind this is your system's security. Controlled Folder Access is a significant part of Microsoft's measures to ensure that your system remains safe from any potential threats. It's designed to prevent unauthorized apps from modifying protected files and folders, thus serving as an essential defense mechanism against malware.
While troubleshooting, we sometimes need to tweak these security measures temporarily. But it's crucial to remember that these features are there for good reasons. If turning off Controlled Folder Access does not solve your problem, you should definitely turn it back on to keep your system protected.
Adjusting Audio Settings
Believe it or not, issues with Railway Empire 2 not launching or crashing can sometimes be related to your audio settings, specifically those related to your headphones. Here's a workaround: temporarily disconnect your headphone or modify your audio quality format.
Let's take a closer look at how to change the audio quality format of your headphones or sound device:
- Right-click on the Speaker icon on the bottom right of your taskbar.
- Choose Sounds from the contextual menu that appears.
- A new window will pop up. Navigate to the Playback tab.
- Here, you'll see a list of audio devices. Find your headphones, and right-click on them. Choose Properties from the contextual menu.
- Inside the new window, navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Under the Default Format section, you will see a dropdown menu. This is where you can change the audio format (Hz settings) of your headphones. Experiment with different formats to see which works best for you.
- Click Apply and then OK to save your changes.
Now, try to play Railway Empire 2 again. If it launches successfully and no longer crashes, your audio settings were likely the issue. If not, you can try disconnecting your headphones before launching the game. You can reconnect them once the game has successfully launched.
Reinstalling the Game
If none of the previous solutions worked, it might be time to reinstall the game. Be aware that this might lead to data loss, so backup your game data before proceeding.
- Uninstall Railway Empire 2 from your PC.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the game and check if the issue persists.
All in all, should you encounter any issues with Railway Empire 2 not launching or experiencing crashes, the above-mentioned solutions are your best bet to get your game back on the right track. Remember to take a step-by-step approach to problem-solving.
Do not forget to back up your data to avoid any loss. It's extremely important to keep your computer's software and drivers up to date for optimal game performance. After all, the world of Railway Empire 2 is waiting for your entrepreneurial prowess to dominate the continent and outsmart competitors.
Indeed, if you're looking for the best ways to enhance your performance in Railway Empire 2, don't hesitate to explore our guide on how to boost PC performance for gaming. This guide provides in-depth strategies to optimize your PC for an even smoother, get more FPS in Railway Empire 2.
Moreover, we would love to hear from you. Please feel free to share your own experiences or better solutions in the comment section below. Your input is valuable and can help other gamers navigate similar issues with more ease. Let's build a stronger gaming community together!
I have tried it all still doesn't work, i have written to the support, so i hope they can help, it's kinda weird first time i run the game it starts then i go to options and turn down the master volume, then i press back, and then the did crash, and i haven't been able to get into the game since that 1 time.
I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with Railway Empire 2, even after trying all the suggestions provided. Your experience of the game crashing after adjusting the master volume is indeed unusual.
However, I've come across two additional troubleshooting methods that might help resolve your problem:
Modifying Controlled Folder Access Settings: Sometimes, the game might not be able to access certain files due to security restrictions by your operating system. By adjusting the Controlled Folder Access settings, you might be able to overcome this hurdle. You can find a detailed guide on how to do this in the article above.
Adjusting Audio Settings: In some instances, the game's compatibility with your current audio settings, especially the Hz format of your headphones, can cause issues. Try modifying these settings or even temporarily disconnecting your headphones before launching the game.
Detailed instructions on how to do these are also provided in the article above.
I think the game is having optimization issues. I have a Vega 56 and I keep crashing to the point where its unplayable. I have Gamepass Ultimate so I also installed it on my Xbox OneX and it's the exact same thing (even on the console).
I completed the crash reports and sent them in, so Im hoping they have some fix coming shortly.